Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone had any experience with IMR 7828? And IMR 7828 SSC can I use the same load by weight for both? Does the load data interchange between the two??
thanks
Bill

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,119 Posts
Per their data found here. Yes, they are completely interchangeable, data wise.

cheers

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've used IMR7828 in a .243, .270Win, and 7RemMag with complete satisfaction with the heaviest of bullets for each caliber. It's too slow for most calibers; and should not used in reduced loading applications. The 7828SC meters better than the original, but (as stated) seems to burn the same.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mtnman -

Howdy !

I have shot both 7828 & 7828SSC in my " DEEP 6 " wildcat, under 6mm bullets of 85-107gr.
My wildcat has 51.2gr H2O case capacity. Compare to 6mm Rem @ 55gr H2O.

In my wildcat, I was able to completely fill the case w/ 7828, and it happened to give me superb accuracy @ high load density; under all of the above bullet weights; while giving safe pressure. Best accuracy using 7828 came when shooting Sierra 85BTHP. I used FED LR Match primers for those loads.

For info:
Since 7828SSC is short cut, it compacts into the case more-densly than the longer grained 7828 version.
In my wildcat, it just happened that the max charge of 7828 would completely fill the case while the same charge of 7828SSC would leave just a wee bit of air space.

Yeh, for me... my loads....my gun, IMR7828 and IMR7828SSC were by-charge-wt interchangeable.
For grins.... I even tried some duplex loads using both itterations of the powder to reach the desired charge wt.

RL-22 very nearly filled the case, and gave me my best ever 5-shot 100yd group. But, I have since read RL-22
" burns " pretty hot. So for me, a less temp sensitive powder that doesn't also burn too hot; is the way to go.
IMR7828 does some if not all of that.

With regards,
357Mag

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
357mag, thanks for the info. My Hornady load book lists 49.0 gr as max load @ 3000FPS. A friend of mine has a few pounds and is going to let me try some to see how it shoots in my rifle. If it works out I’ll buy the rest from him.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Same here works great in my 250 AI 336 marlin lever gun .. I like high velocity but chamber pressure has to be kept low .. I use it with heavy bullets also .. too slow for the 75gr. And yes 7828 and 7828ssc use the same data ..

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,779 Posts
4831-ish powders work great in the 6mm Rem with 100 grain bullets. If you can get enough of something slower to fit in the case, that may work as well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I loaded some to try in my .243 a few days ago with the 90gr eld-x. With the base load per Hodgdon I had sticky bolt lift and flat primers.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
357mag, thanks for the info. My Hornady load book lists 49.0 gr as max load @ 3000FPS. A friend of mine has a few pounds and is going to let me try some to see how it shoots in my rifle. If it works out I’ll buy the rest from him.
6 mm Remington -The Hodgdon site shows 47.5 gr. as MAX for 7828 with a 100 gr. bullet and a compressed load at that. Be careful trying to work up to 49 gr.

Let us know how this powder works for you as I am always interested in new powders for my 6mm/244. IMR4350 and H4831 work really well with me from 87 - 100 gr. bullets.

Good luck and all the best.

Joel

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Joel, I’m getting an imr load data manual. I’ll let you know how it all works out

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok this is what I’ve found for a 100 grain bullet in a 6mm remington. With IMR 7828
I’m not hung up on the max loads but a little hung up on the discrepancy
Hornady, 49.0 gr max 3000 FPS
Nosler, 49.0 gr max 3140 FPS
Speer, 50.0 gr max 3059 FPS, C, mag primer
Hodgdon, 47.5gr SSC max 3048 FPS C, mag primer
Does this make any sense to anyone? Kinda makes me nervous. There is as much as a 2.5 grain diff in max loads.... and both the lowest and the highest loads say they are compressed.
It also seems with lighter bullets it’s impossible to put too much of this powder in the cases to cause pressure issues..... anyone agree or disagree with any of this?!?
Anyone with first hand experience??
thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
I know 7828 is slow but, is it as slow as say H870?

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,334 Posts
Hodgdon discontinued H870 15 (?) years ago. I think it may have been slower than 7828, I'm not sure. US869 that "replaced" it is slower at least on the charts I've seen.

RJ

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,779 Posts
"Ran out" is probably more like it. Likely, H870 was just pat of a big over-run of a lot of WC870 that they got for cheap.

H869 most likely a surplus lot of WC869, that was just a tad off the burning rate so they can't call it H870 without problems.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I had a little time today so I messed around a bit with the IMR 7828. I measured out 48.0 grains of the old long grain stuff and poured it into a re sized 6mm remington case. It filled up into the neck, it would be a “crunch” fit if I tried to put a 100 bullet in it. I dumped that case out then weighed out the same 48.0 grains of the SSC version and poured that into the same case and it came up to just the shoulder. I loaded 5 with the 100 bullets and will see how they perform.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,334 Posts
Crunch fit is a good thing, 7828 is made to be crunched. My Sevumag load crunches a little and it will shoot better than I can hold the rifle.

RJ

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well these may crunch some..... the 100 grain bullets have a really long base, almost as long on both sides of the crimp groove.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts