Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this post on one of the other forums. Looks like the main supplier for IMR Powder Co. went belly up.

Subject:
IMR supplyer BANKCRUPT
Date:
02/16/02
Time:
7:15 PM EST
[email protected]
65.94.51.178 Announced today in Montréal papers:
"In the matter of the bankcruptcy of: Produits Chimiques ExproInc....... Notice of Bankcruptcy and first meeting of creditors..." While IMR in Plattsburg NY has a large quantety of powder on hand, its major supplyer has gone belly up. It has been under protection for some time( Chapter 11 or 13, I am not familiar with US terms). As mentioned last year, I would stock up on your favorite IMR powder ASAP. I have some information that IMR is looking at East Block supplyers. The reason is both economical and environmental. The Expro bankcruptcy will probably have an impact on some of the US major cartridge manufacturers also, as they purchased hugh quanteties of IMR powders (Remington among others). As Alliant has bought BSG, of wich Federal Cartridge is a major part, there could be a problem regarding supply of some types of powder. Hodgdon could make some of it up, as "it lost its biggest customer to its biggest competitor". The Lone Canadian,
Henry

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
This is troubling. I thought IMR would be a manufacturer, not just an importer. After all, when they were owned by DuPont the propellants were made here, weren't they?

Looks like I better stock up on 800X, 4198, and 4831.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I finally settle on a 44 powder fro jacketed bullets ( IMR4227) and there is a possible shotage. I make it a policy not to keep more than one pound of each needed powder so I am very concerned. Good thing I stayed with the Varget for the  .308 and 06 and 7.62 X 54R.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
There's nothing about the Expro bankruptcy in either of the two big Canadian business papers and Expro was bought by a big outfit, SNC - Lavalin in December.
http://www.snc-lavalin.com/pub1/communications/dec_6_2001_9h49m5s.asp

Canadian papers don't publish on Sundays, so something might come out tomorrow.  Wait and see, I guess.

IIRC, DuPont quit manufacuring powder in the U.S. in 1978.

If it is true, the VISA's going to take a big hit at the gunshow next weekend.

Bye
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An interesting side story appears also that Hodgdon's apparently lost a large account from Federal and possibly CCI ammo when they were purchased by Alliant Techsystems, parent to Alliant Powder Co. in the Blount Sporting Equipment Group sale.

Hodgdon's silver lining to their cloud may be in the ability to now strike a deal with IMR to supply them with propellants.

Hodgdon gets a lot of their powders from Scotland and Australia so it may be doable for them.

I read how their "IMR" type powders are merely slight modifications of popular Aussie powders for correct burning rate.

Regards

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Ray:
   I missed the last word in the 2nd paragraph of the SNC-Lavalin press release.

"The agreement was made possible thanks to a strong commitment on the part of all parties involved,  including Federal and Provincial governments, unions, creditors, shareholders and an interim receiver."

So Expro was in what I suppose is the equivalent of Chapter 11 or 13 and the assets were bought by SNC-Lavalin 2 months ago.   Old news.

Didn't Nobel Powders of Scotland shut down in the early 90s?  They were the orginal suppliers of newly manufactured H332, IIRC.

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this a few weeks old but its still popping up on other sites and probably will again so file it for next time Emailed IMR to ask about it and received this yesterday.

Dear Jeff, This dipsh*t,"The Lone Canadian",has put this crap on the internet before.EXPRO TEC is not bankrupt,nor is IMR going out of business.

Tom Dierken
Marketing Manager
IMR Powder Co

A great product and they actually answer their Email!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes sir! IMR is a great company to work with, and Mr. Dierken is an awesome man to deal with. If you'll notice at the moment we have most of IMR's data on LoadSwap.com, with the rest coming as soon as I make time, this is because of the work of Tom Dierken.

Great company, great product, great people.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
This is a perfect example of the panic which can be started, by anyone wishing to do so, merely by starting something on the internet.

Hooray! for JSR45, he took the initiative to do what we all should if we have an interest in such a topic, GO TO THE SOURCE AND ASK!!!!!!

Instead of wringing our hands over an issue such as this, do what I and Jeff do if we have a concern, ask the source which can give an authoritative answer to the question.  In this day of computers and ready reference sources such as Shooters Links this is very easy to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts