Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this for .44/.45 reduced cast loads? Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
That's exactly what it's designed for. Plenty of load data at their website.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I use 5.8gr with a Lee cast 255gr flat nose bullet in my .45 Colts. It "clocks" 720fps, is accurate, and shoots POA. It is a "fun" load to shoot and does not beat up my "cowboy" pistols.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Yep, I use it in the 45 Colt and 44 Specials for the 44 mag, going to build some plinker loads for the 45-70 too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've used Trail Boss in .38 special loads for target and qualification purposes. I've also loaded up some light .41 magnum loads using it. I used cast lead semi wadcutters on both calibers. I originally tried it as it would come closer to filling the case. I had used some HP38 in some .38 loads and it seemed to be position sensitive so I tried the Trail Boss. In my testing it's not quite as accurate as Titegroup in the .38's or Universal in the .41's, but still good.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Has anyone tried this for .44/.45 reduced cast loads? Any comments appreciated.
'Rock's right, reduced lead bullet loads are exactly what this powder was designed for- and I think it works great in that role. Super clean burning and offers high loading density so double charges are unlikely. Flows well through a powder measure too.

One caveat though... It's a very fluffy powder for a given charge weight so the individual granules are extremely light- don't sneeze around the stuff or you'll blow it all over the place.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wrench man,
I would like to hear what you come up with for 45-70 loads. Maybe you could share with the rest of us?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but does trail boss give the bullets enough velocity to keep them from getting stuck in a rifle barrel, or is this strictly a revolver powder?

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
It is for lead bullets only, not copper jacketed.

I use it for reduced loads in 30/06. Works pretty good, it doesn't expand the case much so it is pretty easy resizing.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Wrench man,
I would like to hear what you come up with for 45-70 loads. Maybe you could share with the rest of us?
I haven't built any yet, I was going to fallow the recipe in the HODGDON manual, they show for "cast" bullets
14.0-16.5grns for a 300grn
12.0-13.0grns for a 405grn
and they stress NOT! to use any filler with the riffle loads.
They may have more on their on line manual?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've used it in .38 special, 45 colt, .30-30, .45-70. using the load info from Hodgdon's websight.

.38 was in a Ruger Black hawk and shot into 2" @ 25yds to POA. Good for that gun.
.45 is a Ruger Vaquaro. Also shoots to POA.
The .30-30 is a Uberti low wall. Great plinker rifle. Still working on a load for this one.
The .45-70 is a Shiloh Sharps. 2 years ago we where in Montana shooting at the side of a hill. You could count to 3 and almost 4 before the bullet hit. We were keeping most shots in about a 3' area. Not bad for some city kids shooting that distance for the first time.
Also use it for a low pressure load in a .50-70 & .45-70 trapdoor.

All loads are with cast bullets.

Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use it for the 30-30 using a dipper to drop the powder in. I believe that I use a 2.3 dipper. I have shot jacketed bullets without a problem using this method. Out to about 60 yards the bullets group pretty well. I devoped this load so that my son could plink with a full sized rifle and build some confidence. I would go ahead and load some lead bullets, but I haven't been able to get them to group worth beans yet.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Its ashame IMR don't give us 16ozs of it in a bottle instead of 9ozs. Of course its priced as if its 16ozs. I know, you probably can't get 16ozs in the bottle because its so fluffy, but I bet you can get 12 ozs. I use titegroup for my reduced loads (with great results) plus get almost twice as many loads per pound than if I was using Trailboss. Don't get me wrong, everyone seems to like trailboss, I'm just cheap and happen to notice these things. Dave

·
Registered
392 Posts
Its ashame IMR don't give us 16ozs of it in a bottle instead of 9ozs. Of course its priced as if its 16ozs. I know, you probably can't get 16ozs in the bottle because its so fluffy, but I bet you can get 12 ozs. I use titegroup for my reduced loads (with great results) plus get almost twice as many loads per pound than if I was using Trailboss. Don't get me wrong, everyone seems to like trailboss, I'm just cheap and happen to notice these things. Dave
9oz pretty much fills the bottle to the top. I doubt they could fit another half ounce in it.

I actually wish they would have only put 8oz in each "normal" sized bottle, the way old IMR pistol powder was packaged in the metal can days. That would have made the math a bit easier when trying to figure out how much it costs on a per pound basis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here in Spokane WA. the Trailboss is actually priced quite a bit lower than a conventional powder where they get the gull 16 oz. in the can. The last time that I bought it I paid about $14 for a can, and Win 748 is about $21 for a pound.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Here at the local Gander Mountain in NC, which is always higher, trailboss is $24.99 for the 9ozs the same as all the the other fast burning pistol and shotgun powders that has a full pound in their containers. Rifle powders are 29.99. I usually go to the gun-show in Charlotte a couple times a year and buy my reloading stuff so I don't have to take it in the rear from gander and the other local places. Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts