Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished stocking my 375/06AI,have brass ready am wondering about different powders? My first loads have used W748,and H4895,not bad,want better. I am extrapolating from 375 Hawk data,any ideas? At first I will be using 235 Speers,got them for $9.00 hundred at Lolo's.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I had a 375 Whelen built a number of years ago for hunting here in Virginia. It was my intent to use this rifle with lead alloy bullets and so far it's never had a jacketed bullet through it.
None of my reloading manuals had any data of use for this cartridge. So I got data from my buddies, whose manuals had data for the 35 Whelen.
My thought process being that I could use the heaviest powder charge for any bullet weight for a 35 Whelen, as long as I used the same bullet weight or lighter, for my 375 Whelen, I would be safe.
I started very low and worked my way up to the heaviest charges for the 35 Whelen using my lead alloy bullets and maintained accuracy.
I would suggest that you could use the same process.
Jim

PS
I have two stocks for this rifle one is a beautiful piece of Claro that I use most of the time and a plastic stock for hunting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,
I have read your posts on loads for cast bullets,right now the only mold I have is the Lyman 264 gr. GC,it never has shot well in my H&H so I use it for initial fireforming jammed into rifling in front of 35gr. 3031. Sorry to be negative about Tupperware stocks but I just can't stand them; too ugly, too cold, too noisy so I will stck with walnut and accept the nicks and dings, sort of a momento of good times spent doing something good. Have you taken much game with your .375if so any particulars as to bullet, powder etc.? Right now where I hunt elk the longest shot available is under 150 so high vel isn't really necessary, but if your elk is hit and travels very far it will end hanging in someone elses camp. One reason I tend to use too much gun. I've used 45/70, .458 Win, 50 Alaskan, 450 Dakota, nothing has really been better than the H&H so figured the Whelen has to work. Good hunting.              Lynn

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've taken deer and turkey with the 375 Whelen. I aimed for neck shots with the deer and head shot for the turkey. A 250 grain Saeco or the 300 grain NEI is most effective on both. Neither the deer or the turkey offer much resistance to these big bullets. The turkey is decapitated by the slug. The deer hit in the neck drops like he was struck by the hand of God. A deer hit in the shoulder with the 300 grain is stopped quickly, blood leaking out both sides, broked leg bones, shock to the spine.
I would think that the 300 grain NEI just the ticket for elk. Take a look at NEI's web site for a long bore riding nose with the band up front for engaging the rifling.
I would agree with you about the plastic stocks except the 25 inch medium target barrel is heavy, so I give myself a break with the plastic stock. I even take off the scope for hunting season to loose a few ounces and replace it for load developing. For hunting season I use a Lyman reciever sight. With the scope and the walnut stock gone, it's almost comfy to carry up and down our stunted mountains.
Enjoy your 375 06 AI it will be an accurate rifle. I'll promise that because I think that 375 is one of those just about perfect calibers no matter what case you use.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts