Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every one. Hope you are having a good night and/or day. I just got a colt 36 caliber replica black powder pistol. Where is a good place to get supplies and info for it? I need to know what kind and number of firing caps. Plus what kind of greese do I use to prevent flash firing??
Thanks for any help you have to offer!

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
take a look at Tack of the Wolf (have a nice on-line site).

geneally, they'll take either #10 or #11 caps... #11's are the most common at sproting goods stores, but if they are a bit loose, can sometimes find (r order) #10's.

Ball will be somewhere close to .375... may find some .378's or .380" on line if the .375's turn out to not be tight enough.

****ed near any grease will work to prevent chain firing, but generally petroleum based greases make for a more difficult clean up (have used automotive grease when i had nothing else). In cold weather, god old Crisco (yep..the food)works fine. they do sell specific tubes of grease form lubing mini-balls and for cap-and-ball revolvers.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
.375 ball and 20 grains of 3f powder. Get some wads in .36 caliber and even Crisco can be used to cover the cylinders.OR Make a semi hard home made lube out of bees wax and some kind of oil. It will work fine.

Beeswax 2 oz.
Castor Oil 8 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.

Mix the first two in a double boiler. When they are melts stir them carefully. There will sometimes form a scum on the top. Skim that off and throw it away. Do not cook this, just melt it together. Take it off the heat and then stir in the Murphy's oil soap. This will make it creamy and smooth and smell good. Pour this is a tin. If its too hard, add more oil. Too soft, add more wax. This is the lube I use to cover my cylinders and it can be used as a patch lube for round ball also.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Go to the top of this section and read the thread, "First Tiime Revolver Shooting."
Lots of good info in there, for the experienced and neophyte alike.

On a side note, I avoid all petroleum products in my black powder guns. Petroleum greases and oils, when coupled with black powder, create a hard, tarry fouling that is more difficult to remove.

I rarely use grease over the ball. Instead, for many years I've used a greased real felt, 1/8-inch thick wad between the ball and powder. Lubricate the wad with any natural grease, such as lard, bacon grease, Bore Butter, SPG, Lyman Black Gold or the lubricant named after me: Gatofeo's No. 1 Lubricant. Its recipe is in the posting.

I use .380-inch balls. A number of places on the internet sell them. I find the slightly larger ball to give a better seal in the chamber, and to be more accurate.

Anyway, read that thread at the top. Then print it out for further reference. You'll find yourself referring to it frequently.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Ive got an Armi San Marco 51 Colt repro and it shoots .375 caliber balls best. I found CCI #10 caps worked well too, Remington #10 caps were a bit tighter. I had to crimp the #11s (CCI and Rem) to keep them in the nipples.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts