Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im new here . I`m looking for some info on the 150gr.banes TSX. I`m loading it for a winchester model 70 XTR sporter. -24" barrel in .270 wby mag. I have been to the barnes site,just wondering if anyone has loaded this.

·
Super Moderator
13,769 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in and have fun and play nicely with the rest of us kids.

Barnes probably is the best place to start. They have data for the 150 on the third (and last) page this document.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ,was looking for someone who has already loaded this -for any comments etc.
Thanks for the welcome. Cuz

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I loaded the Barnes TSX 150gr. In my 270wby mag. My primers look as though they have been punched too far by my firing pin ? They are not flattened .I backed off with powder and still got same results. Bolt didn`t stick,cases look ok. Anyone have suggestions? Cuz

·
Super Moderator
13,769 Posts
Hardness of your primer cup can matter, too. Try the CCI #34 military hard primers if you think you are in danger of piercing the ones you have now.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,464 Posts
What action is your Weatherby on? Mausers will thump the daylights out of a primer, generally. My Vanguard, not so much.

As long as they don't pierce there should be no problem. Overall length of the cartridge should not matter one bit so I don't understand the inference there?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don`t know what happened? I backed the powder down almost to the min and now have it shooting decent. I had a couple primmers pierce.never had that before.I was still not at max powder load .I guess this heavier TSX bullet creates alot of pressure in my gun. Anyway its good now,got a pretty tight group -65.0gr of reloader22. Thanks.cuz

·
Super Moderator
13,769 Posts
It's a good example of why you always begin with a given starting load and work up while watching for pressure signs. I've twice run into starting loads in manuals that were already maximum in my particular guns. All the manual tells you is how the load performed in the particular gun used by the manual author. If it isn't a SAAMI spec pressure and velocity barrel, compatibility with other guns becomes much less certain.

I think a particular problem for the Weatherby's is the earlier gun's chambers had longer freebores than current production. If you don't know which kind the load data was developed in, knock another 5% off the given loads and go from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts