Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a nearly new condition Colt Police Positive Target revolver circa 1946. However I'm not really familiar with the WRF cartridge. The best I can tell is it's between the .22 LR and the .22 Mag. I've read the WRF can be fired in a .22 Mag. but is the reverse true? How about firing a .22 LR in the Colt? I haven't had time to check the cylinder dimensions or research the cartridge further. Any body have any info?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
You cannot shoot 22 Magnum rimfire ammunition in firearms chambered for the 22 Winchester rimfire cartridge.
The 22 Winchester rimfire was primarily a hunter’s cartridge for the day when there were a lot more small game hunters and the opportunity to hunt - close to home.
You can still buy the ammunition, Midway and others carry it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...categoryId=10018&categoryString=653***7547***

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Don't shoot 22 LR ammo in a 22 WRF, either. The diameter of a 22 WRF case is larger than the 22 LR- you'll get split cases if you try 22 LR ammo in your revolver, and I doubt much accuracy, either.

·
Registered
445 Posts
As stated above you can shoot 22 WRF in a 22 WRM aka magnum. However you cant shoot a magnum in a WRF chambered gun. I knew many people who in a fit of financial distress has shot 22 LR in WRF and WRM chambered guns. It does often split the case and is often hard to eject and can only imagine the poor accuracy.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Do not let yourself be discouraged about your new gun due to its chambering. The 22WRF is a hunter’s gun and you may find you have a real hunter’s handgun at 25- and 50-yards with the proper ammunition.
If the condition of the gun is as you describe you may has a very good quality collector’s item.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up

Thanks for all the good info. After getting time for some research I've come to the same conclusions.
As an aside, I've just posted a question about it on the Handguns forum for some info on the Mfg. date of this gun. Perhaps one of you might have an answer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts