Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone explain trajectory, wind drift, recoil, velocity, and accuracy? Also, provide at least two examples using gunning calculations.

·
The Shadow
7,659 Posts
When is your homework you want us to do for you, actually due?

·
Registered
247 Posts
You could probably get enough info by simply using a dictionary, if you don't have access to a re-loading book..

Have you tried that?

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
Well, what you're asking was learned by me from a 1945 Stoeger's catalog, but it was ten years old at the time. The information is still valid. I don't do interviews and don't take quizzes. I USE the information every day.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,016 Posts
As Mr. Belk has so wisely pointed out, acquire a good reloading manual (I prefer Lyman 50th) for answers to all your questions.

Reactions: shooter444

·
Registered
247 Posts
What did I expect from the internet. Thanks for nothing guys.
--------------------------------------------------

Hmmm,... sounds like you expected to merely ask and you would have all come to your aid and give you what you want, with little effort on your part,... like a typical little snowflake.

You got answers,.... you just didn't like them,... too bad, so sad.:cry:

·
Registered
577 Posts
It appears that you registered on this site specifically to have us do your homework for you.

The 'nothing' you got is actually a lesson you'll very likely ignore and that's the fact that you have to do the work to learn, not expect someone else to do it for you.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that we have another lazy millennial here. Here's a link to his theme song. HERE

Reactions: shooter444

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
That's not what is happening. I got one of these on another forum. It's part of a course on firearms in which the instructor has asked the students to find someone more experienced with ballistics than they are to interview for answers to those questions. The answers are to be discussed in a paper.

Reactions: MZ5

·
The Shadow
7,659 Posts
Mighty strange way to phrase things then...

The Gunning Fog index is a linguistic tool to determine readability. It assigns a value to how "complex" a word is, in order to estimate formal education level required for a reader.

An interview, looks something like this:
"Hey guys, I need to interview you for a paper. Can you explain some terms to me so I have a better understanding of them, and can do what I need for my assignment?"

Someone wanting homework done, looks more like this:
"Explain these words. Make sure you provide at least two examples using the GFI in your answer."

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
"Go ask somebody else" seems a counterproductive education technique. Especially, with the internet the way it is. ;)

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Does he want to interview us so that he knows the meanings of the words, or does he want to interview us to see whether WE know the meanings of the words?

I don’t see how any reasonable person would be able to tell this was an interview based on the OP, so the lesson the student (hopefully) learned here is something along the lines of how to NOT set up a text-only interview with total strangers via the internet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could anyone explain trajectory, wind drift, recoil, velocity, and accuracy? Also, provide at least two examples using gunning calculations.
What you are asking for would require an entire book to explain correctly. Most of these guys here spent many years learning the intricate subject of external ballistics. I doubt you can find anybody on a forum willing to cut those subjects to a such short answers that will fit on a forum in anything but the most grossly understated terms. Good luck, my friend.

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
It may require an entire book to explain in complete detail. But definitions of the terms in a few words are available from the Glossary on SAAMI's site.

I think this must be an online course as the OP and the fellow asking me on another board have IPs from opposite ends of the country. He PM'd me with this request before asking those same exact questions:

"I am attending an Associate's Degree program for Firearms Technology. One assignment I have been given is to have a discussion with someone either through email, phone or in person. I have no one local to me who I trust had a reasonable knowledge of these things.

"I am curious if you are willing to have a discussion by email where I will ask you a series of questions related to ballistics. Afterward, I will write a paper about our discussion to complete my assignment."​

Reactions: MZ5 and shooter444

·
Premium Member
14,791 Posts
I would respond to that sort of request and have in the past in person and by phone. Maybe it was the tone and form that set my teeth on edge.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,897 Posts
James, you've asked questions most people can't answer simply, of which I am one. My answers have come through years is shooting and reloading and I've never thought I would be "required" to answer them to anyone but my sons.

That you chose this site and took a chance that you would get negative answers does show courage in my book. If it was me I would search unclenick's posts for he is very good at mathematically explaining how such things work. Me, I could sit down and explain it my way, but it's likely not as correct as his.

Stick around though, there is a lot to be learned here.

RJ

·
Registered
656 Posts
The unexplained request for a lot of difficult and not easily explained information by a very recent join with 3 post just looked like some kind of trolling expedition .
I don't mind sharing info , but explain the request and be nice when you ask me .
Specific questions are easier to answer than just asking to explain everything in the accurate shooting universe and not say why you are doing it this way .
Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mate, don't take it the wrong way but you sound a bit like a pampered millennial Luvvy used to having his mummy tie his shoe laces every day. There is a thing called google, just feed the individual terms into it and it will willingly and without judgement answer all your queries. Better yet, do a field trip to a gun range or club, get a real feel for the subject, unless you are a biased observer with an anti-gun mindset and an agenda. Most kids wouldn't even want anyone to do things for them satisfy their curiosity, unless it was a chore and they were just plain lazy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.