Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am hoping someone can fill me in on a rifle that I've inherited from my Grandfather. No user manual came with it. It is a Browning .308 bolt action rifle in mint condition. The etching on the barrel says that it was made in Finland. Serial number 159XX z74. I've been advised that it may have actually been made by a company called Sako, but in researching serial numbers on Browning and Sako's websites, I don't see any patters that match the serial number on this rifle.

I'd like to know who actually made the rifle, what year it was made, and a general idea of it's value (although I understand that I cannot get an 'appraisal' via an online forum). Thanks.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,112 Posts
Sounds like a post-Garcia Sako Finnbear rifle, not a Browning. As stated trying to give appraisals over the internet are guesstimates only.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If it look like this http://www.gunsinternational.com/Br...un_id=100154425&CFID=2436090&CFTOKEN=10788522

I've got a Browning Safari 243 on a medium Sako action (same one as the above 308) that I got new in 1965. There was a time when they made them with whats call "Salt Wood" and they rusted the barrel action alot of those stocks were replace with after market ones.

If you have a Browning Sako you can get on their web site and find out what year that rifle was made. As to value condition is everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it looks just like that gun. But that gun is listed as a Browning Belgian Safari, and mine says it was made in Finland. Could it still be the same gun?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts