Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Inactive account
784 Posts
I have the American Classic mil-spec by Metro Arms. I love it. The front and rear sight required some tweaking to get the bullet going the right way..... other than that it's been great. It's fun. It delivers 45 cal just like any other. I'm not a paper puncher type guy, but it does group in the vicinity of the center mass. Just the way it's designed.

Plus it seems to be exactly built to original specs and I "believe" that it will accept any stock parts that the originals do.

Grizz

· Inactive
3,262 Posts
Six of one, half-dozen of the other. I believe -- and I may be wrong -- they both come from the same Phillipine manufacturer. This is not a bad thing, as these guns, while not as finely finished as a Colt or Kimber, are solid performers, and outstanding values.

· Inactive Account
822 Posts
I have one of the Rock Island Armoury 1911 tactical models, I have only put about 400 rounds through it, haven't had one jam with wad cutters or hollow points. It is good for what it is, a cheap pistol. Appears to be reliable. I read they were not made for wad cutters or hollow points, backside of barrel was supposedly cut flat and they would not feed properly. I took it apart to fix the issue and mine already had metal removed, I bought it used so I don't know if the previous owner worked on it, or if it came from the factory this way.

· Registered
12 Posts
Got the RIA Mil Spec 1911 (like teh CD 1911)- younger son loves it, very good shooter, always goes bang with any ammo. Not a Colt or Kimber, but at $350 in a Pawn Shop....great buy. Handles the cheap GI Issue $7.00 mags you can pickup at gun shows

· The Shadow (Administrator)
11,019 Posts
I have a Milspec Rock also.
Just a tad over 1K rounds down range, with no issues.

· Inactive account
3,656 Posts
Brand new Metro Arms 1911 full size here. Haven't shot it yet but tore it down and cleaned it and checked it out and all looks very good. Will probably shoot it today even in the cold.
For an inexpensive pistol Im impressed with the way it's put together.

· Registered
955 Posts
I have a Rock Island 1911 in .38 Super, and I have a Springfield 1911 in .45 ACP. The Springfield is clearly better made, but it's not like the RI isn't a good gun. The Springfield isn't "inflated" it just has better machining, nicer custom parts, etc. If owning a fine-tuned machine with custom parts is irrelevant to you, go with the Rock Island.

· Registered
4 Posts
I picked up a Mitchell 1911 about 12 years ago

I tooI took it to my regular smith who disassembled it for inspection and found nothing at all wrong. Just a bit of Wilson's lubricant and it runs great. One can find really good value in 1911's that are from smaller manufacturers. Post your photos of the targets ![ZE]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.