Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a nice little gun case and decided to install a goldenrod to keep the moisture out. My wife has a phobia of fire and thinks it is a fire hazard. What do y'all think?

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
These types of products have been in use for many decades. When I was stationed overseas during the early seventies all my closets had such devices because of the tropical humidity. If there was a potential for fire that would be prime.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If there is a worry about it being a fire hazard, put in on a GFCI outlet and limit that outlet to the max. amp the device is suppose to draw with a circuit breaker slightly over (ex. 3 amps - install a 5 amp circuit breaker).

imho, The real fire hazards are devices that use wall warts made in China.

·
Registered
573 Posts
+one on wall warts made in China.

It seems it would be awefully hard to get a fire started inside a properly sealed safe. It should be almost air tight. If something did start to smolder it would quickly use up the available oxygen and extinguish itself. kind of like when you light a candle and place an upside down jar over it.

·
Super Moderator
13,643 Posts
Also, unlike a space heater, these devices get warm, but not glowing hot. They never get near the ignition temperature of wood, paper, or plastics. Really very safe.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have several of them. They don't get hot enough to burn you. You can even handle them while in use. The theory behind them is to heat the airspace of the safe about one degree warmer than the ambient air temperature outside. You don't need a whole lot of heat to do that. Moisture will then not condense on the warmer objects inside. It works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts