Shooters Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time back I ask for pointers on installing a Bisley grip frame on a Blackhawk.  Flatgate gave some valuable advice and I decided to proceed with the project, promising to report back on how easy or difficult it was.  Well, the project is complete.  It took a total of about 4 hours with various grades of emery cloth wrapped around a file to keep things flat.  The only time I actually used the file was on the "ears" at the back of the cylender frame, which stuck up a good 1/8" above the mating surface.  I was working with a stainless gun and found that 320 grit paper gave a finish very similar to what was on the gun originally.

Fortunately I was already familiar with the inner workings of the Ruger single action so changing out the triger and hammer was no big deal.  If you are not familiar with the innerds of your Ruger you need to get a current manual from Ruger as they show both disassembly and assembly instructions and pay attention as you take the gun apart.  The Bisley triger and hammer simply replace the existing parts.

As with most home gunsmithing the biggest asset one can possess is patience.  Anyone with a good flat file, an assortment of emery paper/cloth and the previously mentioned patience can do this job.  My next project is a new set of grips from some exhibition grade black walnut a friend gave me.  After that a custom front sight.  This 4.625" SS Bisley will be completely unique and I'll have the satisfaction of having done it myself.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts