Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently completed a new firearm inventory and purchased additional insurance on my gun collection. Seems things had changed some since my last inquires:confused: (both insurance-wise and collection-wise).

Anyway, I'd recommend that you all take a look at what you may have accumulated, gun-wise and at least make a call to your insurance handler and make darn sure you are adequately covered.

I did need a new rider and this process was not as easy as I'd hoped it might be. I am insured through a major carrier and when I called it took a while to get all the info needed to accomplish the work needed.

My carrier required a detailed inventory which included all pertinent info about each firearm, including all serial numbers. They also required an appraisal of each and every firearm.

I was lucky to have a friend who has a firearms business and FFL who was able to do this for me at what I consider to be a very fair price. The research he was required to do was extensive and his visit to see, handle and grade each individual firearm was time consuming as well.

In closing, those of you who own more than just a very few firearms will likely be surprised at how little a typical homeowner's policy will cover, should you have a catastrophic loss. I would highly recommend you count your collection piece and $$$-wise and call your carrier to see if you need some additional coverage(s).

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,115 Posts
Yup. NRA much easier to deal with. Pick an amount to insure for and pay the premium. Appraisal doesn't hurt in figuring out what you have, though.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the record, for the total amount my insurance now covers, cost is almost to the $$ the same as the company that NRA uses would charge for my collection. I'd much rather deal with a known quantity, and my long-time carrier than another unknown company. I did do my homework. I thought members should know that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts