Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In addition to the extensive list maintained by SAAMI of improper ammo capable of being fired in different caliber rifles, there are two more that all shooters should be aware of:
.308 Winchester ammo will fit and fire in most .270 Win caliber rifles. Most rifles fired with such ammo lose major parts and the shooter can too. We, as shooters can tell the two calibers apart. That's an accident that is unlikely to happen, but already has. I've examined the rifle. 308 ammo sticks up the same distance from a factory Styrofoam ammo tray as .270 and even a repeater can be loaded with the wrong ammo absentmindedly.

A much more dangerous combination is a .300 BLK shot in a .223 rifle. There is likelihood of avid shooters having AR uppers that look the same in multiple calibers and similar magazines loaded with what becomes a grenade when fired in a 5.556/223 upper. That has also already happened and there are pictures of the results online. It is bound to happen more in the future.

As the popularity grows of interchangeable ARs that can be turned into everything from 22 LR to beer can launchers and every short caliber between, the chances increase.

I sure don't mean to install a flinch in anybody but be careful when ammo for both are present. Color code magazines and uppers. Don't let the kids load magazines if there's a chance of mixing ammo.
Of course, the street mob that found a few rounds in a magazine dropped in the heat of battle could be neutralized in an innovative way.

Here are factory 300 ammo loaded two rounds down and three.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Good post there. Thanks for that info. I have at least two different firearms where cartridges can dangerously interchange. I don't dare to take them both to the range at the same time and am very careful of which ammo to take with me. I did one time take on of the firearms and grabbed the ammo for the other one, but realized my mistake before shooting. Gladly that day I brought a couple of others with me to shoot or it would have been a very bad day at the range. Also I never load with other cartridges present or even any components out for others. I think most reloaders follow this procedure and it is a good one. One mistake I've made there is in forgetting to dump powder out of measure, but I was doing another cartridge later in the same day and caught that before dumping new powder on top of the other. One of the keys to all of this is to check, double check and then check again....... Don't let inexperienced people around any of this without proper supervision. Hoping to begin training my grandchildren in the art of reloading soon. Gonna train them up the right way!!!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
good post

1 - 3 of 3 Posts