Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,052 Posts
I have one but haven't shot it since I zeroed it. Mine, as most, shoot extremely well with 50 gr. bullets at 3000-3200fps. (RIFLE velocities). Handloads that duplicate factory ammo in a rifle shoots well in the TC, also. I have not chronographed them, though. I settled on a 222 load in 1958 and very seldom vary because I'm using the same components. As with any handload, work up.

P.S. 'My' .222 load was the first factory load developed by the inventer of the cartridge in 1950 and used in countless BR matches before BallC2 took over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have one, and like it, but I prefer the 221 FireBall, more of the powder burns inside the barrel. Both are fun and great shooters though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howdy folks..
Well.. I've been looking around on the web..
What happened? To those contender barrel's ?
They start filling them up with Gold ?
The prices are outrageous! I used to buy them for 100.--120$ bucks..
On the hunt for a .222 barrel...

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,049 Posts
😡😡😡😡 Alright, let's get some things ironed out here..

Peabody:
This is starting to look an awful lot like you are wanting to buy something. Posts waiting to buy something, belong in the Trading Post; not the handloading section.
So were you offered one, and you're asking for the information found in load manuals? Or were you not offered one, and you want to buy one?

Henry:
Those velocities are only remotely possible with a 24" barrel, not the 10" the OP is asking about.
I expect your post to be edited with Either the required warning from the sticky in this section. Or bring the velocities back down to reality.
Whatever nonsense supposedly happened in 1958, those components are long since changed..

Reactions: Peabody

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
😡😡😡😡 Alright, let's get some things ironed out here..

Peabody:
This is starting to look an awful lot like you are wanting to buy something. Posts waiting to buy something, belong in the Trading Post; not the handloading section.
So were you offered one, and you're asking for the information found in load manuals? Or were you not offered one, and you want to buy one?

Henry:
Those velocities are only remotely possible with a 24" barrel, not the 10" the OP is asking about.
I expect your post to be edited with Either the required warning from the sticky in this section. Or bring the velocities back down to reality.
Whatever nonsense supposedly happened in 1958, those components are long since changed..

Yeah... My buddy, has one.
He's thinking about selling it.
I'm interested in whatever other's have to say about this cartridge.
I think it be really good caliber to try out.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
i used to have savage m340 in 222 rem and i shot the crud out of it. boy, it was accurate, 50gr Hornady and a max load of h322 would go 1/4 - 1/2" at 100 yards. i bought it used, but i got 5000-6000 rounds out of her before the barrel was fried and in spots the rifling became a smoothbore. i was young and dumb once, so i sold her instead of rebarreling her.

i'd say to buy it, but i really would like a 221 rem fireball or a 20 vartarg(221 fireball necked down to .204") because 221/20 would burn more powder.

Reactions: Peabody

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
For several years, had this “thing” for 10” Octagon barrels. Mostly just liking the visual/aesthetics, accepting that 10” barrels would not match the longer round barrels.

Ended up with three frames and a snit load of 10” Octagon barrels (not all, about 9 different calibers). A .222 was among them. Does use more powder for the same speed you can get with a .221...but is did shoot well, even with factory ammo.

If the price was right on the .222 barrel, I’d go for it. Will be a bit inefficient in a 10” barrel, but that doesn’t always predict accuracy.

Yep...they must be part rare earth metals. Old guys kind of expect to pay more, but this seems a bit excessive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts