Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,428 Posts
I followed Contender's link over to Marlin and read the "discussion", if you can call it that, on magazine tube detonation. It seems as of late we are starting to see posts here on the Forum with the same mindset.It seems like every Forum I have visited there's at least one agitator that has a bad case of runoff at the mouth....I really don't have that much trouble with them...they can put it where the sun don't shine!
Now....the magazine detonation. When primers are tested at the factories, they go through a test called..."Drop Testing". If a batch of primers are "not sensitive" enough to survive they dropping ball, they go into the burn barrel!!!!So lets add to the TD problem,,super sensitive primers!
Next, let's look at the magazine tube components....if the spring is weak, it allows the loaded rounds to move forward in the tube during recoil. Then they slam back against each other. This is even worse when the cartridge is loaded with a heavy bullet and the rifle is a lightweight! The cartridge in the gentlemans rifle detonated when the follower was released....otherwords impact detonation. There seems to be concern on the other post about the edge of the meplat hitting the center of the primer. This will not fly! The distance between the primers anvil and the inside of the primer is very close and can't stand impact across its surface...period! By recessing the primer it puts it where the next round can't hit it!....simple!
In reloading for lever guns....First and foremost, be sure the gunk from the fired primer is removed from the inside edges of the primer pocket. Put a needle in a pin vise and run it around the edges. Next...be sure the primer bottoms in the pocket!
It does not hurt to be sure there is good resistance on the magazine spring. A strong mag spring keep the cartridges from moving forward during recoil. If not, cut a wood dowel and put inside the mag tube up front. This dowel can be the length of two cartridges. Yes, you will lose some mag capacity, but really how many do you need in there?
And...These are suggestion made on experience and if you don't agree and want to argue...take it somewhere else! However, reasonable comments welcome!
Best Regards, James

·
Banned
2,428 Posts
Jim....Yes, I understand the workings of the Henry type tube. I was in no way being critical of his loading method. Thank God he was not hurt worse. I class the Henry loading problems like this along with leaving a empty chamber under thr hammer of the old type SA's. The SA's problem has gotten a lot of press over the years, where the Henrys haven't. I'm glad you posted this problem, since it will help shooters think about it with the Henry clones! This points out what I've said before on this Forum....We need to keep the new shooter's as informed as possible. I've seen great people like you all take a great deal of time trying to inform shooters on safe pratices!!! If they choose to go beyond that, they are on their on. We have fulfilled our obligation! That may be one of the reasons this Forum is now #5 in the nation!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts