Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Jim,

You know, I'm hearing more and more about this occurring. I suspect we will here about more of this happening as more and more Lever actions make their way out into shooters hands.

There was a post on the Marlin board that went on and on for about 5 pages about this detonation condition. Their's centered on the Higher pressure loadings for the 45/70 being offered by custom loaders now with hard cast wide meplat bullets. It appears in the Marlin rifle a cartridge can shift at the magazine tube in such a way that the the edge of the bullet under recoil, can detonate the cartridge ahead of it. They have responded by making up special brass that has deeper primer pockets to avoid this. Think Starline is making it now. Here is a link to the thread over there and put on your asbestos gloves:

http://209.235.227.198/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000467.html

Hope your friend is OK and you get your patches back too. :biggrin:

Regards,

:cool:

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Hello Moose,

By "gunpowder" I'm assuming you mean black powder. Black powder is actually more of an explosive rather than a propellant like smokeless powder. Whereas, smokeless is designed to burn rather than explode and the expanding gases from this combustion propel the bullet down the barrel.

Black powder can detonate via concussion and flame IF the right conditions are met. Some ballistic tests I have read about as of late point to Black powder's pressures continuing to climb in an overloaded muzzle loader dispelling the myth about maximum loading safety in this type of gun. IE- they can't be overloaded, not true.

I doubt there would be enough thrust by a bullet getting set back in a cartridge case to detonate the round. Far more common as you know, is a primer detonation.

FWIW

Regards,

:cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts