Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to shake the dust off my reloading equipment after a year of no use, so I decided to load up a batch of 45 ACP last night. I like to load 50 rounds at a time, using like head stamps to eliminate case variations in testing my loads for consistency. I already had about 15 Federal cases primed, so I started digging through my box of cleaned and prepped cases looking for more Federal cases to complete the run of 50. I have a total of about 300 or so cases for 45 ACP, and I was having trouble at first finding Federals. While sifting through the box, I finally came up with 50, but I got to thinking it was weird because I knew I had plenty of Federals, so I went through them all.

What I discovered is that Federal cases are heavier than all the others - to the degree that they move to the bottom of the pile during sifting, much like gold in a gold pan. I found my 50, then went through all of the remaining cases, trying to sort out all of the brands. I wound up with about 60 more Federal cases, all at the bottom of the box.

Anyone else ever notice this? I wonder what Federal does differently. Dimensionally they are the same as the others. (Obviously)

·
Super Moderator
13,679 Posts
How much weight difference? I have some Top Brass +P cases that are a little heavier. I'd have to go check, but off the top of my head I am thinking it was one or two grains of water capacity, which would translate to about 8.5 to 17 grains brass weight difference, assuming identical exterior dimensions, but I'd have to measure those to be sure? Any chance your Federal is +P?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
When sorting pistol straight wall cases shaking them will cause the cases to stand on the heavy end (head) of the case, after standing the cases up I lay plate over the cases and flip them over, then I sort by head stamp, after sorting the cases are kept that way, when loading on a progressive press I match brass by weight, weight the bullet, powder and add the weight of the primer, when finished the cases should weigh the same + or - very little, it takes me less time to weigh 45ACP rounds than it takes me to build another pistol, or purchase one, for insurance I use a lock out die when using straight wall cases.

When loading the old fasion way I use mixed head stamps.

F. Guffey

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much weight difference? I have some Top Brass +P cases that are a little heavier. I'd have to go check, but off the top of my head I am thinking it was one or two grains of water capacity, which would translate to about 8.5 to 17 grains brass weight difference, assuming identical exterior dimensions, but I'd have to measure those to be sure? Any chance your Federal is +P?
I'm not sure how much - ill have to weigh them and see. They are not +P though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts