Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is John and this is the first post on this board. I enjoy varmint hunting and shooting paper. I concentrate most of my shooting to the 223. I enjoy reloading and light gunsmithing or load development.

I have a question, has anyone heard of converting a Rem700 to accept barrels lilke the Savage? I don' t mean to have a Rem700 action to recieve a Savage barrel. What I mean is to take a Rem700 action and a Rem700 barrel and be able to set the headspace just like the Savage.

I appreciate any feedback..... johninfresno

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,087 Posts
Welcome, John - Hope you enjoy the board and will join the many discussions.

The .223 Rem is one of my favorite cartridges. As with you, like to shoot and reload for it.

The question of adapting a M700 to the Savage barrel installation type is one I've never heard addressed. The answers will be interesting.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Can't see any reason it couldn't be done. Would need to extend the threaded part to make room for the "nut" that holds the barrel to the reciever...but as there is already a washer being used for a recoil lug, that part of the design would stay the same (would need a little modification).

Always though that longer threaded secion of the Savge was (1) ugly and (2) one possible reason that Savage barrels tend to shoot well. Have to count both the threads in the reciever AND the threads under the barrel nut as the total area under tension...and making that area stiffer (which tension will do) seems like a good step towards accuracy.

Could proably cure the "ugly" part of that.

BTW: welcome to the boards.

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
Probably could do an interrupted thread takedown rifle like some of the old H&H bolt rifles and have multiple barrels. But, each barrel would have to be mated and cut just for that action, much more expensive than the Savage concept.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Welcome,Johninfresno,
I just finished reading about doing just that with a 1893 Mauser, converting it to .45 ACP and modifying the stock for a shorter configuration, so I don't see why the systen wouldn't work on a remington just as well. The Magazine should be in your local Book Store as I am writing this. It is on Mauser rifles, and covers the modification process, as well as converting a Military Mauser into a sporter. It also details a number of Mauser models and their variants.
There's a lot of information on this sight, and it's just for the asking.

Lee L.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I have heard of an M700 swap barrel rifle, you might check over at www.savageshooters.com, there are some big time swap barrel guys over there

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
Iowaloha John,
I too dislike the look of the barrel nut. I sure can't argue with how the Savage rifles shoot though. I can't imagine that a prettier nut would help. I supose a guy could use duct tape to cover it up and make it more pleasing to the eye?
You handload anyway so you already have a way around the headspace thing.
Cheezywan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts