Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Iowa has finally come to its senses kinda. As I understand it, looks like bottleneck cartridges are finally going to be allowed for deer hunting. The catch is it has to be between .350 and .500 caliber. So .308WIN is a no go but .375 H&H is fine. I never new our deer were so hard to bring down. It’s a step in the right direction though anyway.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Interesting rule, but most certainly a help compared to SG or ML.

Do we see a new .358, .35W or 9.3x62 in your future? Any of the three can be readily set up for excellent 300yd performance.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
According to House File 716 signed by the governor in June, legal cartridges are now based on a minimum 500 fpe muzzle energy. But there are limitations, don‘t believe everything you read on a gun forum, confirm it first.

Iowa: Gov. Reynolds Signs Pro-Gun & Pro-Hunting Bills.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the length restrictions are gone.

I’m planning an upgrade to 358win. Seems about just right for deer hunting, with enough range and still enjoyable to shoot.

I haven’t heard much official interpretation on the new bill, so my info is just sourced from me reading through the legislative jargon.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,135 Posts
If I read Carpe Diem's linked info correctly, rifles can only be used during youth and disabled hunter seasons. I'm no lawyer, but it sure seemed there were a lot of caveats and restrictions, still.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts