Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am sorry to ask such a dumb question but I am completely new to the 32 ammo.
I just aquired an old colt 1903 and with the crazy ammo shortage all I could get locally was Pmc bronze 32 auto and PPU 32 auto. The gun calls for 32 acp, is it safe to use the pmc and ppu or will I damage or possibly destroy the colt ?
I would rather be safe than sorry, any help would be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
14,560 Posts
Same caliber. 32 Auto Colt Police, or Pistol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for letting me know, now I can go shoot a few rounds, it has been cleaned and checked out and fired by a qualified tech, But I didn’t think to ask him about the ammo.

·
Premium Member
14,560 Posts
A smart move on your part. Welcome to the forum.
The 1903-1908 pistols are the ultimate in slim, slick and easy to hide. They're normally carried cocked and locked and have a great safety record. My grandad had a canvas pocket in his everyday coat for his 1903. They're also a great example of 'charcoal blueing'. Extremely tough and beautiful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, I am already on the lookout for a 1908 and a 1905 because I like the look and feel of this one so much. I had the grandkids over since posting my question so I probably won’t get to shoot it tonight but hopefully tomorrow after work I will.
Thanks for your friendly and helpful response and for not making fun of me for asking such a dumb question, I am new to semi auto pistols, I now realize that I have been missing out for 50 years.
I also think I picked the right forum to join. Thanks again and have a great week.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a 1908 that my Dad bought in the 70's. It is great pistol to shoot and carry. It is tough to get super great accuracy for me due to the sights. They are typical for the time, small. Mine does shoot pretty well, minute of a bad guy. Which is what it was designed for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish my dad had stuff like that when I was a kid, he always had Winchester and Marlin lever actions and revolvers and pump shotguns, which are all very cool , I guess he was a cowboy at heart, and like father like son. I am really enjoying the semi autos now though.
I need to find a good gun show to go looking around for the 1908.
thanks for the informatoon, yes the sights are a little small for me too, and pass that cool old colt down from generation to generation, hopefully it will still be working fine in a hundred more years.

·
The Shadow
7,487 Posts
ACP = Automatic Colt Pistol. Sometimes for brevity you'll see:
"Automatic" or "Auto".
The "P" has nothing to do with "police".

·
Premium Member
14,560 Posts
Belgium pistols were often marked 7.65 Politize or some word I was told meant 'police'. The caliber was a standard for police use all over Europe.
I have a box of FN ammo somewhere labeled '7.65mm Browning Auto Pistol'. The 32ACP is called by many names, much like the .380 and 9mm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the information, I will now feel confident the next time I buy 32 ammunition.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
To be clear, the cartridge’s name is “32 automatic.” See ANSI Z299.3-2015 for a reference.

The cartridge was originally designed by John M. Browning for an FN pistol (the model 1899, which he also designed). Colt started making pistols chambered for this round some years later.

Accordingly, the name of the cartridge has NEVER been ACP. I’m not even sure Colt themselves ever called the cartridge that. ACP is the abbreviation for the various pistols, not the cartridge(s), but LOTS of people do not know the history or the difference.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The correct name has always been 32 auto / 32 automatic .
People / writers and other experts stuck the acp on there , but acp is Automatic Colt Pistol and Colt had nothing to do with this John M. Browning / FN development .
All of my reloading manuals have it listed as 32 automatic
or 7.65 mm Browning . I do have some foreign made ammo marked 7.65 mm Browning come to think of it ...

There is a soft bound publication , "Cartridges of the World " that is just the best thing to have when it comes to sorting out all the different cartridge names ...for a few bucks it can make you look like you know everything about cartridge nomenclature and history ... Cool !
Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts