Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a newbie, I want it all and I want it now! I bought a Rem 700 SPS tactical .308 that I mainly will use for target shooting. I'm looking at the Bushnell 4200 8-32X40 scope. My problem is, if I do want to hunt with it, will the 8x be too much magnification for hunting?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I would never use a scope for hunting that could go no lower than 8X. For hunting big game, I want no more than 4X on the bottom end.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
There's a reason 3X-9X scopes are most common in the field. I had the experience with a 4.5X scope of picking up a wrong target when snap shooting under pressure to make speed against a competitor (not too different from buck fever; adrenaline is not your friend in these matters). For speed in the field, I've been sold on the long eye relief scout scope concept, but subbing one for a high power or a mil dot scope won't happen with conventional scope bases. I think, in your shoes, I would get a good quality quick release scope ring system and just accept needing two scopes and ring sets so I could swap the two without losing zeros. Get a lower power, wider field scope for hunting.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
JW,

A scope that has a lowest power setting of 8X is, in fact, not appropriate for 95% of any big-game hunting you might do. That other 5% might including pronghorn or varmint hunting, or if you were to restrict yourself to ONLY hunting large, open fields for deer. A scope that you keep dialed down to around 2X and can crank up to maybe 10X would be a much better choice for big-game hunting.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Being a newbie, I want it all and I want it now! I bought a Rem 700 SPS tactical .308 that I mainly will use for target shooting. I'm looking at the Bushnell 4200 8-32X40 scope. My problem is, if I do want to hunt with it, will the 8x be too much magnification for hunting?
jw,

If you plan to use it as a general "carry around" 80 yard deer rifle then a minimum of 8X isn't appropiate!!! - It not going to work.

All but one of my deer rifles are scoped to minimum of 2.5 to 4X.

Now...I do have a specialized "beanfield" rifle with an 8x32x44AO Mil-dot on it. Unlike jm, It's worked for this use 95% of time - I've only passed on one shot with this rifle where the scope power was too high and interfeared with the shot sight picture! But this is a special case.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Even on my 3-9 scopes in most situations it's turned down to 4x. Target aquisition is quick at lower power settings. If I have a cross the pasture shot I can crank it up.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Agreed it depends on what you are shooting. Since you bought a .308 I assume you aren't after prairie dogs on the high plains so a decent 3x9 will do you more good than a dedicated long range scope. my 3x9's are usually set between 4x and 6x and my 4x12 is set at 8x. To much scope narrows your field of view and magnifies jitter so if you are not shooting at game from a bench rest you will hate it. Only time I go for higher magnification is competing at longer ranges and even then I never go above 22x, and if its hot with lots of mirage I set lower than that.

If you want to go with Bushnell look at their 4x12x40 scopes. low enough for 50 yards, powerful enough for 300 yards, all you need to do is practice.

·
Registered
788 Posts
8x is not too much for deer hunting, other than very close work in the bush. If you have practiced enough with the rifle, you should find that it works well. May not be ideal, but it will work.
It would not be my first choice, but as a secondary use for the rifle, go with the primary powers you want.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes...8x is too much for hunting.

I had the same rifle, just sold it a couple weeks ago on THR.

I had a 6-18x on mine and even that was a bit too much IMO. A good 4-12x will do you fine with that rifle.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
i'm also wondering if that tactical 308 only goes hunting with you one time, unless you're big strapp'n guy, lugging that rascal around for deer hunting might get old quick. i say keep the scope on it, but buy yet another 308 in a sporter configuration and top that in appropriate deer hunting optics.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm with Jim H. You can't sit in a fixed box blind all of your life. Get a sporter weight rifle that doesn't require a furniture dolly to move it for hunting, mount a good fixed 4X or, at most, a bright 2 x 7, and enjoy. Sight in off a solid bench rest, but practice from field positions. The rifle has been proven, now its up to the shooter.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Yes 8x too much ,why do you want an 8/32 ? trying f class? you could get away with 6/24 or Bushnell 3200 5x15.Unfortunately trying to make one gun do everything results in a gun that is a compromise for everything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm also wondering if that tactical 308 only goes hunting with you one time, unless you're big strapp'n guy, lugging that rascal around for deer hunting might get old quick. i say keep the scope on it, but buy yet another 308 in a sporter configuration and top that in appropriate deer hunting optics.
I'm 6'4", 280lbs. I've carried my Rem. 700 SPS Tactical all day with no problem. Thanks for the scope advice though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have to agree that 8X is a bit much for deer hunting in many situations. Here is the upside though you can get some really swell glass in a 3X9 or 4X12 for the money spent on the larger 4200. Not knocking the Bushy just know that there are some better low light scopes. The rainguard is a great feature that may be a toss-up for trade off depending upon your anticipated hunting conditions.
It sounds like you're better capable of carrying a heavy rifle than I am, tried a big bull barreled varmint rifle for a season but sold it and got a sporter for the next season.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to agree that 8X is a bit much for deer hunting in many situations. Here is the upside though you can get some really swell glass in a 3X9 or 4X12 for the money spent on the larger 4200. Not knocking the Bushy just know that there are some better low light scopes. The rainguard is a great feature that may be a toss-up for trade off depending upon your anticipated hunting conditions.
It sounds like you're better capable of carrying a heavy rifle than I am, tried a big bull barreled varmint rifle for a season but sold it and got a sporter for the next season.
Yeah but mine (rifle) has 6" less of heavy metal barrel than yours! LOL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts