Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 50mm objective that much better than a 40mm on a 4-16 riflescope? Do you need high rings to mount a Nikon Monarch w/50mm objective to a Remington 700 SPS Tactical? Medium height rings for a 40mm objective Nikon Monarch?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
In daylight, or even evening or morning twilight, I don't see any need to put up with the larger size. I like small and lower scopes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If the quality of the glass in both scopes is the same it is an advantage if this is a bench rest gun and weight is no bother but there are often compromises made on glass quality to offer a larger objective lense. I would concentrate more on the exit pupil diameter matching your eye pupil diameter at the light condition you are most likely to use the scope.

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
The Nikon Monarch is a good quality scope. I'd see no reason to need an objective of over 40mm for any hunting situation short of hunting at night for hogs or something. That type of very large objective started in Europe, where hunting at night is common.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,115 Posts
If you are going to shoot in low light (pigs, predators), it is. Yeah you'll need high rings, or possibly, extra-high. Depends on the scope and barrel contour and eye relief (placement), etc. Sometimes you don't know till you try.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Glass vs Objective

I firmly believe that the quality of glass is THE(!) most important thing in the performance of any optical device. This includes scopes,bino's,and camera's.

For any rifle/pistol scope it is extremely important. Especially if the reticle is in the 2nd focal plain,which most American style scopes are. I feel that this is somewhat more important that the glass in a set of bino's.

I do not own any of the higher end scopes. I have however had the opportunity to look thru them all. And,I do own a pair of Swarovski bino's.

If I had unlimited resources I would own Schmidt & Bender or Swarovski optics,of at least 50mm objective. I have had plenty of opportunities to compare them side to side with my Leupolds and for low light conditions or extreme ranges,you definately get what you pay for.

Usually when you get up to 50mm and beyond, you will need high rings. This depending on bbl contour and other things. Remember to always mount your scope as low as you can given proper eye relief and a proper sight picture with cheek weld.

When mounting a scope for myself or someone else I always mount the gun so that it is comfortable,with proper cheek positioning,with eyes closed. When I get the weapon positioned so that it is comfortable,I open my eyes and see what(if anything)needs to be changed.

I do this with some people that have a scope mounted on their favorite deer rifle for some years and they are amazed how far out of ajustment their optics are. -----pruhdlr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts