Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Redhawk .45 Colt which I load some pretty potent hand loads for. I have been shooting this gun for about a year and I have come to the conclusion that I really don't care for double action revolvers. I have an opportunity to buy a used stainless Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt and 5 1/2" Barrel. I was wondering if these guns are as strong as my Redhawk and can they handle the same "pumped up" loads?

·
Registered
140 Posts
They are not as strong as a Redhawk. But they are strong enough to take the T/C Ruger loads in the manual. If you need anything more than that I would buy a 454 single action.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have both Super Blackhawk and Redhawks, and I would NOT shoot the hot loads that I run through my Redhawk in the Blackhawk!!! The Redhawk is in a class by itself when it comes to strength.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
They are not as strong as a Redhawk. But they are strong enough to take the T/C Ruger loads in the manual. If you need anything more than that I would buy a 454 single action.

If you need more don't stop at the 454, get a 475 or 500. Now that is a real step up the food chain

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,716 Posts
300 grain bullets at 1200fps will go through both shoulders of a bison. The .45 Colt at 30,000CUP will do a lot. Yes, the Redhawk will go above that, but I don't shoot anything bigger so I'll stick with my blackhawk loads.

Have fun, single-actions are addictive.....

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have fun, single-actions are addictive.....
I have learned that the more I shoot the more I only use my double action revolver in single action. In fact, I can shoot my revolver more accurately, fast, single action. So, I would rather have a strong single action revolver that I can load strong. Maybe I'll have to step up to a Freedom Arms model 97. Anyone have experience with these fire arms? I am hoping with the strong price tag they will handle strong loads;). Thoughts?

·
36,716 Posts
FA is a whole 'nother world. Precision built and locks up like a bank vault.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
I would think the new Blackhawks [not any flat top version] would be as strong as a Redhawk. The chamber walls are the limiting factor before the frame factors into it.

·
36,716 Posts
They're not. The Redhawk cylinder is larger, and the bolt notch is more offset.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The cylinder of my Redhawk has thicker chamber walls than my Blackhawk or Vaquero and it is longer too. The frame of the redhawk measures thicker also. If the steel is of the same quality, the Redhawk should be stronger.

Kudu40

·
Registered
753 Posts
The cylinder of my Redhawk has thicker chamber walls than my Blackhawk or Vaquero and it is longer too. The frame of the redhawk measures thicker also. If the steel is of the same quality, the Redhawk should be stronger.

Kudu40

And to add to Kudos meesage. Don't shoot hotloads for the Redhawk in the Blackhawk.

·
36,716 Posts
So does this mean they are at least as strong as the Redhawk?
There are different frame / cylinder sizes on the FA. I believe the "original" is known as the model 83, and can be chambered in .454, etc.

Pretty sure the model 97 is much smaller. While stronger than an original Colt, I don't believe it measures up to the original sized guns.

I can't tell you what the pressure cut-offs are. Maybe some other members can chime in on the 97......

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
Someone correct my memory if needed here. I recall the SRH offered in 454.
I have no such memory of the SBH being chambered for that cartridge.

Seems like it was about the time Taurus brought out their Raging Bull with duel lock-up?

Cheezywan

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are different frame / cylinder sizes on the FA. I believe the "original" is known as the model 83, and can be chambered in .454, etc.

Pretty sure the model 97 is much smaller. While stronger than an original Colt, I don't believe it measures up to the original sized guns.

I can't tell you what the pressure cut-offs are. Maybe some other members can chime in on the 97......
I that case if I go the FA route, I will just get the 83 chambered in .454. That way I can still shoot my .45's I was looking at the 97 only because I was leaning toward a revolver with a 5 1/2" inch barrel which the 97 has. The 83 shows 4 3/4 or 6. Either of these would be find though. Thanks for the information.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts