Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was re-reading an issue of "Rifle" magazine this week. In it is an article about take-down rifles. There is an illustration of an original Remington Rolling Block rifle with a butt-stock that detaches at the wrist of the stock. There's a bolt that comes up from the bottom of the pistol grip into the area between the upper and lower tangs that hold the butt-stock onto the rifle.

Will BAFT be really upset with me if I make this modification to my 1971 vintage Marlin 336 in .35 Rem? A month ago I sent a letter to the NRA asking (I'm a 30 year life member), but to date have yet to hear from them.

Thanks,

Lobo in W.Va.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know about the BAFT but the BATF will be Real upset. The rolling Block is an antique or curio, your Marlin is a modern firearm. There may be a legal way to do it but I'm sure it would involve a large 'tax'

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
Hmmmm.... well, there is probably one big overriding question here:

Can it be fired in the usual manner with the buttstock detached (ie is there still a wood pistolgrip)?

Taking the buttstock off of a lever gun isn't all that uncommon, to reduce length for transport. Obviously, while the gun could be fired, it would be extremely difficult, if not painful.

But shortening the buttstock to where it becomes a useable gun, with a much shorter overall length, is another matter entirely.

I haven't seen the article so not sure which applies. Definitely check with BATF & local agencies before proceeding. It's the only smart thing to do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Guys,

Rufus,

BAFT....BATF.....a thorn by another name is just as painful... :)

Mike,

The Rolling Block stock left about 2/3 of the top of the pistol grip on the rifle while the remainder of the stock came off for convenience in travel, fitted case and all. This is the advantage I'm after. Several of the gunsmiths offer nice take down packages (barrel off the action) for my Marlin, ranging in the $7-800 price bracket. I'm a cabinetmaker, and feel confident in being able to do the stock work myself....say $50 for materials, then comes the fitted case.

Lobo in W.Va.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The puffy spray foam shipping / packing companies use might help with the custom case. Kind of like the cans you can buy to plug draft leaks in your house.

Eric

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Lobo, etal,

Contrary to the above observation the BATF will have no concern wth the mentioned modification! The regulation only requires a minimum barrel length of 16" and a minimum overall length of 26". It has nothing to do with being able to fire te rifle in that configuration as long as the remaining action/barrel/etc. is at least the 26" minimum nothing would or could be said.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay......

So, when I get home this weekend (I currently work 112 miles from where I live....boo hiss), I'll put the tape on the rifle's muzzle and measure to the butt end of the lower tang. If I'm over 26 inches , I'm good to go!

Lobo in W.Va.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts