Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like I won the lottery. I've had an M4 style DPMS w/a 16" light barrel on it for some time. The combination was built long before the plant was moved to Alabama. Circumstances conspired such that this is the first time I've been able to shoot it.

The first group was shot using a Pentax 18x scope 100 yds off of a bench and a bag.. I did that to see what the capabilities might be. These were all HSM factory loads. I have a 20" heavy barrel which shoots very well too.

The second group was with a Vortex Crossfire 2 mil red dot same day, same bench, same bag.

I almost want to put the Pentax back on, but I wanted this as a fast handling "truck gun".

I had heard stories that the old DPMS, even in the light barrels, had outstanding accuracy. I'm a believer now.

·
Registered
11,942 Posts
Some ARs are capable of producing outstanding groups. My youngest son has a Bushmaster varminter that will outshoot my best prairie dog bolt rifle.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,443 Posts
Some ARs are capable of producing outstanding groups. My youngest son has a Bushmaster varminter that will outshoot my best prairie dog bolt rifle.
That's pretty high praise Monty, I've only seen one AR that can keep up with "Granny" in the accuracy department.

To me the worst thing with AR's? Takes twice a much ammo 🙄 Those "moving targets" are too inviting

Reactions: MontyF

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,443 Posts
👍

As luck would have it, Granny's tuned and hand crafted 40 grain Vmax ammo fit AND shot very nicely in Waddy's (wah-dee) 26" 1:9 chrome lined bull barreled Colt AR.

He promtly emptied a 30 rounder, spraying brass and bullets everywhere. Granny layed in her gun case, action agape at the audacity of the uncouth upstart wasting her ammo like is was mass produced in some high capacity plant with LC head stamps instead of her dear R-P

JEEESH

RJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts