Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question may sound stupid and I think I know the answer, but here is my question. I've deer hunted for years with a shotgun. Now I have a revolver and I was wondering if a new leather holster will be a scent problem. Or, should I consider only canvas material?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think it is, but you should be also working into the wind rather than going with it. Unfortunately the wind oftens swirls around making it hard to keep your scent behind you. This is one of those subjects that I have mixed feelings about. I've always tried to cover my scent, keep the wind at my face etc. But my Dad who is a great hunter, while he works into the wind also smokes all the time in the woods. I've asked him about that before and he alway's tells me "if the smoke is going out in front of me, I'm going in the wrong direction". He always get's game, go figure!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
AJ,
I think it really depends on how and where you hunt. If you are a stand hunter and where hunting pressure is really high, it could be a factor. But if are a still hunter or spot and stalk hunter, you can always adjust to keep the wind to your advantage. If hunting pressure is low in your area, the game may not be as suspicious of vague foreign smells. After all, the oil on your gun or the breakfast on your breath will probably be as strong. I use leather military type slings on my rifles and wear leather boots and belts, and have never had problems (that I know of). All of my hunting (including southern white tailed deer) is done by still-hunting or spot and stalk. Always keep the wind to your advantage and it shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts