Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to try small game hunting with a 22 pistol, squirrels and rabbits. I am hoping the Ruger MKIV Lite 22/45 would be a great gun for this. I simply think it looks so darn good and I like its features: easy breakdown, threaded barrel, thumb safety, mag disconnect, light weight, 1911 grip angle, and a rail already installed. And I like the Bronze color. I have to admit another gun doesn't hold the same appeal in looks. So is this gun accurate enough for this...lets assume I am a good shooter? If not, what gun would be better and I want to spend no more than what the Ruger would cost.

Also, heard that Ruger has some safety issues with the trigger and the safety. Worst of all issues in my mind, gun fires when it shouldn't without a trigger pull. So how safe is this gun and has that issue been adequately fixed?

I will not consider Rugers prior to the Mark IV

Thank you

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,402 Posts
If you can shoot it well, I think it will work just fine. Mostly that's on you ;)

My Mark II 22/45 will take the head off of a rabbit easily enough as far as I care to shoot at them, but that's with a bull barrel. The extra mass makes the gun a little steadier to shoot. I'd go with a heavier/longer barrel over a shorter/lighter one, personal preference. Plan to spend some time at the range finding out what the gun 'likes.' Personally, always get good, consistent results with CCI Mini-Mags. Good luck....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.
One reason is...I just like the look of that Bronze Mk IV Lite and the look of it with a suppressor. I never owned a gun like that and it appeals to both me and my son but I am not a collector so I want it to be functional.

I am at an age where iron sites are harder to see for me. I am thinking of a red dot site, do you have any suggestions for small game?

·
Registered
507 Posts
No matter what brand or style reflex (red dot) sight you get, make sure you get a small dot. One larger than 3 MOA can obscure small targets & lack the precision to hit squirrel heads. IIRC, mine are 2 MOA & work well on the target size & ranges suitable for a 22 pistol. I changed my 22/45 Lite open sights to the Williams Fire Sights (fiber optic) open sights & I can easily see & shoot with my "old" eyes. The factory open sights were unusable for me. No batteries to worry about, no ON/OFF switch, easier to holster, & more trouble free than the red dots, IMHO. Try looking @ the fiber optic open sights before buying the reflex. Most stores have guns with them you can look down the barrel on.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Franco,
Also remember when shooting Squirrels in trees you MUST be aware of the Down range issues.
the .22LR when fired at an upward Angle is still Dangerous out of over a Mile away.
i think it would ruin your Day if you 'accidentally' hit a Human beyond your intended squirrel.
Chev. William

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reminder. I would imagine it would be less range with a pistol than with a rifle for that danger arc assuming the ammo is the same. Do you hunt squirrels with shotgun or rifle?

·
Premium Member
15,879 Posts
Always shotguns in Florida and people caught shooting a rifle (without backstop) within a mile of a dwelling had legal problems.
I only shot squirrels with a rifle when I was good enough to wait for a backstop. In Florida, that was usually a big oak tree trunk. Don't shoot .22 rifles or pistols upwards unless there's no population in about four square miles. (1 1/8 mi radius)

Rabbits with a pistol are great fun IF there's plenty of rabbits because you will miss some.

One of my most notable jackrabbit days was in the edge of Nevada 20 years ago in January. I shot just over 700 rounds of center-fire ammo from 22K-Hornet, 222 and 6mm Cheapshot. And then as the afternoon turned even colder, the four of us climbed on top of a very large pile of one ton hay bales that had been eaten to mushroom shape by the rabbits. One stack had been undermined to the point of collapse. We each took a side and had at least a brick of ammo each. I had a Match Target Woodsman and a 7 1/2" Model 41 S&W and two mags each. It HURT to re-load with seriously cold fingers made raw by stuffing hundreds of rounds of ammo into a Ruger #1 all day, but somehow I ran out of ammo right at sundown as the rabbits were walking, hopping and creeping in a moving carpet of rabbit hair towards the hay stacks. We literally killed more than 2500 jackrabbits in one long, cold day.
At the same ranch, the Nev. Possum Police filled a 5 yard dump truck with jackrabbits. Ten guys with big innertube 'sleds' pulled behind walked the length of a runway shooting rabbits at point blank range and tossing them in the innertube net. The dump truck followed along with prison trustees swapping innertubes out and throwing rabbits in the truck. We HAD to know who was vacuuming rabbits up wholesale and found they were for predator recovery centers and the Idaho Birds of Prey. They'd be sprayed for varmints and frozen in tubes of some kind for easy storage and shipping. They said about every three years they loaded up and somewhere in the state had an overpopulation every year, but many times nobody knew where.

SO, shooting rabbits is fun with a handgun. Hunting rabbits to eat takes a better choice.

Reactions: Franco
1 - 8 of 8 Posts