Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am getting ready to purchase a lot of new brass (.30-30. .41,.44 mag and .45 acp, .45-70 .30-06 and others.)  I really like to use Winchester but have heard Starline is better.  Those of you who have used several kinds what do you think?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Hello There!

Guess I'll give you my 2 cents worth. Virtually all the new handgun brass I have purchased in the past number of years has been Starline. I have found it to be very high in quality and also a great company to deal with. The brass is quite durable with the reloader in mind.

I remember purchasing some 445 Super mag brass a number of years ago and then recieving a notice that the newer brass was made for handgun primers and if I wanted to, I could return it free of charge and get the newer type of brass. This told me that they were interested in good customer service and satisfaction.

Deal with them direct for the best price and free shipping. I wish they made more rifle brass too. I have some Midway headstamp brass also that I believe was made by Starline.

I don't think you can go wrong with Winchester either. Check prices and then decide what's best for you.

Regards

:cool:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would have to say yes, Starline is the best.  It is consistent in wieght, length and seems heavier than remington or winchester, which means more reloads.  If you buy 500 from thier web site you will save &#3625 over MIdway.  

Have fun shootin all that brass  

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's hard to label anything as best but Starline is certainly putting out a great product. You may want to try one caliber and see if there's any difference between the Starline brand and Winchester or the others.

For my use, if Starline is making it, I'll be using it.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Yes indeed, Starline is producing some world-class brass!  It is consistent from lot-to-lot, very uniform in weight, length and all critical dimensions.   The supply of Starline brass is good, with excellent availablity should you run out and need more.

However, it is thick, heavy brass, which when good for longevity of your brass, and providing excellent case life, it also somewhat reduces the available case capacity for propellents.   If you seek top-end velocities with whatever your current whiz-bang of the week might be, your best potential will be with either Winchester or Federal brass.  These makers consistently use thinner brass, weighing less, and contributing to more case capacity.

If you're not looking for that absolute last FPS out of your load, then Starline brass is an excellent choice!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
While I have not used any Starline cases myself, a close friend has reported somewhat inconsistent taper crimps in 9mm and .45 ACP, most likely due to the thicker nature of the brass as mentioned by Marshall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts