6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was woundring if anyone has seen a rifle chambered
in the handgun round 454casull, or has heard of any gun
maker thats thinking of making one?

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
I haven't seen one yet!  In looking at the pressures of the .454 Casull, they exceed the working pressures commonly considered safe in the lever action rifles we associate with handgun cartridges.   For this reason, I really doubt that we will see any Marlin 1894's, Rossi/Navy Arms 1892's or any Winchester 94's chambered for the .454 Casull.  Only the Winchester BB94 and the Marlin 336ER are lever actions rated at holding the pressures the .454 Casull turns up.

Perhaps a bolt gun could be built, but with the rim on the .454 case it would be a clumsy proposition at best without some really great engineering.  

Not the final word, just my casual observations mind you!

FWIW

God Bless,

Marshall

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
I thought I read a review in Shooting Times by Mike Venturino on a High-Wall copy that was made in .454.  Seems like maybe he took it antelope hunting or something like that.  Probably at least a year ago, maybe two.  Check with Browning and see if they have this listed as a chambering.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Nope haven't seen one of those yet.

I have a little Contender carbine with a 16" bbl punched out to 445 Super mag though.

Just the thing to break your jaw on! :biggrin:

Regards

·
Banned
554 Posts
There is a Browning Hi-wall in .454 Casull.  Its a small production item.  I saw one a couple months ago in a shop.  

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can get an encore barrel made for you in 454. TC sells the pistol in 454 but I think they just offer the 45/70 in the rifle version.

Ive heard of a 454 lever action having been made but it couldnt stand up to more than heavy 45 colt loads so it kind of defeats the purpose.

I know of one gunsmith working on making a 500 Linebaugh lever right now.

Jason

·
Registered
254 Posts
The Browning Hi Wall Hunter was made in th 454 Casull in 2000, But I saw it was dropped for 2001.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Browning uses the .454 in a version of the 1895 single shot rifle. It has been a while since I saw it at their website, and not sure which version it is. Recently , I saw a Sharps carbine replica in .454. I don't remember the manufacturer, but I remember how very nice the gun looked.

·
Beartooth Regular
650 Posts
Yes, it's called the .45 Colt . . . . if you are try to duplicate .454 Pistol ballistics in a rifle.

The truth is that you can easily duplicate .454 Casull performance from a revolver in a 24" rifle barrel chambered in .45 Colt at a whole lot less pressure (30,000 p.s.i.) which is well within the safety margin that the Marlin '94 action provides. If you reload, 23.5 grs. of H110 or 296 under a 320 gr. LBT bullet turns up 1,640 f.p.s. in my .45 Colt Cowboy. This exceeds factory .454 velocity in a revolver and with a 20 gr. heavier bullet to boot!

This load was pressure tested in Hodgdon's lab at 30,000 p.s.i. and is courtesy of John Linebaugh. He shows it at 1,318 f.p.s.  in a 7" pressure barrel.

If you don't reload, Buffalo Bore has .45 Colt ammunition is easily the equivalent of this load.

When you touch one of these cartridges of in your rifle, the mild mannered .45 Colt that you are used to becomes a BULLY!

Have fun & be safe.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts