Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to start reloading for an older Remington pump 30-06 that I inherited and have found that the component combination possibilities are infinite. I have decided to use a Hornady 165gr SP as the plain base will probably be less finicky in an older gun like this with a less than perfect bore. I will consider 180gr Sierra Pro Hunters, 165gr Accubonds or SGK's if these do not work out, but am confident that they will.

I then started researching powders. I already have some RL19, and could bum some IMR4350, RL15, H4831sc, H4831 and a little IMR4895 from my dad's seldom used powder magazine for load development. I wanted to use what I already had, but had considered getting some Varget, 4895 or IMR4064 bc I could also use it i my 22-250. Are any of these bad powders, or should I just start with what I have and roll the dice? I don't need max velocity, I just wanted to get acceptable accuracy from this fine old rifle that doesn't seem to favor factory 150gr loads.

On a similar note, I had heard that the old H4350 was a "long cut" version, as opposed to the newer, "shorter cut" version. This was supposed to improve metering and give greater temperature stability in colder weather. Is this also the case with the IMR4350, or has it always had a shorter kernel and, thus, good temperature stability? THis could help with my elimination process.

Thanks and God Bless,
Ryan

·
Registered
287 Posts
You have a powder range from slow burning to quick in the 06' Since you are going with bullets 165 to 180 range I would make up 5 each 4350s,r19 and the 4831s that should tell you what powder works best in your rifle.As far as temp goes I wouldn't worry about it unless you develop a load that is hot or max when it's really cold,then go shoot it when it's hot,then your load might be too hot.The other way around your load might lose 100 fps or so but nothing to worry about unless you plan on taking 500yrd + shot at game then you notice a a few inches different in impact at that range otherwise I wouldn't worry about.As far as developing loads I ussually do that during spring,summer which is 60-80 degrees up here and I hunt up here during the fall and winter (Alaska) wich can get about 60 below( you won't find me out there when it's that cold) about 30 below is my cut off point and I fire off ,many rounds when its that cold and never had a failure.FInd which powder works best for you,tinker with the seating depth and you'll have a good hunting load

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well, neither Red Dot nor H-870 is a very good choice for the .30-06. Other than the extreems, most any mid-sized cartridges can use a very wide range of powders reasonably well, it's just a question of what you want to do with it. Is there a point to the question?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah! With so many options, where would you start? What are others' experiences with a similar setup and these options.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Personally, I'd start with some RL19 since you already have it. Maybe try some IMR4350 as well, it's pretty usefull to have around. I think with 165 and 180gn bullets I'd work in the 4064ish to 4350ish range of burn rates. That should get you the most fps anyway. Good luck

·
Registered
13,291 Posts
RL-19 is maybe a little slow for the '06, with 165gr bullets, but not a bad choice, at all. Either flavor of 4895 is fine and the slower stuff like 4350 and 4831 will work, as well. If you can get the RL-15 from your dad, that's the route I would go...that, or the 4895.

To answer the question you posed in the title of this thread: Yes, there are bad powders for the 30-'06, but there are also quite a few good ones. :)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
IMR 4064 with the 165s and IMR 4350 with the 180s.
I tried R19 and velocities were good and accuracy was okay and H4350 was the same story with 180 grain bullets. I tried IMR 4350 with 165 and found IMR 4064 was a bit more accurate.

I stumbled across Ken Waters favorite load with 180 grain bullets on accident and its 55 grains of IMR 4350 in an RP case but I run CCI large rifle primers and Sierra Pro Hunters. I get 2770 fps and under an inch with 5 shots at 100 out of my Kimber 30-06 with that load. He loaded Speer180 grain Mag Tips.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Looking at the title, my thought was within reason, probably not.

There are a couple powders that would be ho hum with 220gr bullets, and a couple I wouldn't use for 110gr bullets. With your current selection, most would work well with almost any bullet you needed to shoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts