Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you know if there's a national organization for hand gun hunters? One that keeps records much the same as Pope & Young does for the archery hunters. If you know their measuring system (B&C, for example) and their minimum entry scores for all the North American moose sub-species that would really help. Any thing to get me started will be appreciated; I've browsed the net without any results. Thanks, Guy

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Guy,
I'm not aware of any such organization. I doubt there would be an easy way to do it either. You've got revolvers and single shots and muzzleloaders all muddled together. There would have to be at least two classes of cartridge, straight wall and bottleneck, or you'd have the revolver hunters and single shot pistol shooters at each others throats as if one was using a recurve with no sight pins and the other a 80% letoff compound bow with every gizmo known to man. We'll not even get into the scope/no scope argument. It would be interesting to see something like this come about, but there would have to be a good deal of consultation and forethought put into it. The fact that a SSP has a 300yd effective range on deer sized game, sort of waters down the fact that it might have been done with a handgun. I'm not looking to start the war, I shoot revolvers and SSP's with and without scopes. Let me know if you come across anything on this.

Steven

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steven - Thanks for your reply here and on the "General Forum". I'll try the JDJ address you gave. I'm not a handgunner, as you've probably figured, and all the variables that you describe just had not occurred to me. I'm just trying to get some info together for the Moose Foundation. Looks like we might just be going by the standards already established for modern rifles, m-loaders, and bows, although I think there's fertile fields for "discussion" there too.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Not that this means too much, but I would suspect that since most states only allow handgun hunting during the general firearms season, there would not be a seperate book or club recognition for that use. That is just a wild guess, though.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Big Bore,
I understand, as a member, that HHI is a club for handgunners. I wasn't aware that they had a trophy class for game like B&C, P&Y, etc. Is this the case?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kcih - SSK Industries told me that they tried to organize a "trophy records" deal for handgunners but were unable to generate sufficient interest. I have since learned that SCI recognizes trophies taken with hanguns, but not to the extent of having a separate category, or of having set minimum skull or antler scores for qualification with a handgun. I've never noticed any mention of handguns in SCI's annual awards issue, whereas they do have minimum scores for trophies taken with a bow, and make note next to the award wiiners name. Thanks everybody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts