Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
The picture kinda shows the purpose of the question lol
Well, not really. While your photo is certainly not a definitive test or inspection of the bore size/condition or [more importantly] the condition of the crown, it's at least a 'rough indicator' that the muzzle has not been 'wallowed out' by abusive cleaning (as Jack Belk indicated above). One can clearly see that the bullet diameter is greater than the diameter of the bore across the rifling. What prompted my question is/was your statement that "It looks great. This is my best shooting rifle." That being the case, and your (seeming) satisfaction with your rifle, can you elaborate upon your concern and/or issue that prompted you to open this post with a question as to "Is the bore okay on this K31?" Are you seeing or experiencing something that is not evident in the photo alone?

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
10,049 Posts
CC,
Remember the other thread, where a decade off didn't help?

I wouldn't over-think this one too much. The pattern is very similar.

Cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, not really. While your photo is certainly not a definitive test or inspection of the bore size/condition or [more importantly] the condition of the crown, it's at least a 'rough indicator' that the muzzle has not been 'wallowed out' by abusive cleaning (as Jack Belk indicated above). One can clearly see that the bullet diameter is greater than the diameter of the bore across the rifling. What prompted my question is/was your statement that "It looks great. This is my best shooting rifle." That being the case, and your (seeming) satisfaction with your rifle, can you elaborate upon your concern and/or issue that prompted you to open this post with a question as to "Is the bore okay on this K31?" Are you seeing or experiencing something that is not evident in the photo alone?
I’ve just always heard that if the bullet is almost swallowed in that test then it indicates a worn out bore. I just wanted to get an opinion from people who I figured had a lot more knowledge than I do in this topic.

·
Premium Member
17,052 Posts
Ghale01-- Determine bore condition by cleaning it very well, dry it very well and then look down it at a bright background. You're looking for sharp edges on the rifling and shiny all the way down. NORMALLY, or those older surplus guns, they are very dark, worn or pitted to a rounded profile. That's from years of bad ammo, bad primers and bad storage. Shoot it to REALLY know what condition the bore is in. You really can't tell for sure by the looks.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I always heard that the bullet test will show you how worn out a bore is and I just wanted second opinions. Idk why some of these guys are being rude about it
When you consider that typical rifling depth is .003"-.004", meaning you only have .006"-.008" supporting a bullet that is simply resting on the muzzle. In reality, that's not much when one is trying to do an imprecise 'eyeball measurement'. A bore scope will allow for a better 'inspection'. What my 'eyeball' is telling me is that the resting position of the ogive of that particular bullet indicates your bore is fine and you have nothing to worry about, which seems confirmed by your satisfaction of actual shooting results.
No rudeness or disrespect intended, just trying to understand your abbreviated question so as to provide reasonable and accurate answers.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,172 Posts
If it swallows up the bullet to the case shoulder, yes, it is worn out ;)

Or it has been counter-bored due to muzzle damage.

Reactions: kdub

·
Registered
8 Posts
I always heard that the bullet test will show you how worn out a bore is and I just wanted second opinions. Idk why some of these guys are being rude about it
Use a different 30 caliber cartridge, Ogives on projectiles are different between mfg and bullet types.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,123 Posts
That test is a crude quick test for funneling a prospective gun buyer often uses to assess the likelihood that a gun will shoot accurately. Once you have the gun, the test is meaningless as then you determine if it shoots well by shooting with it.

While funneling is usually an indication the gun won't shoot well, it isn't always so. Even a funneled bore can shoot well if the funneling is symmetrical. Usually, it isn't. With guns cleaned a zillion times by troops, you find they often rested the stock on the floor with the muzzle up and ran the rod in and out while the rifle leaned against the rod. This generally produces wallowing or funneling that favors the side of the muzzle opposite the front sight, so it winds up with a lopsided crown. But if the funneling is due only to muzzle blast, then it may be symmetrical and may work fine. The late Harold Vaughn put some considerable time into proving that the muzzle crown angle is irrelevant as long as it is perfectly symmetrical.

Bottom line: you own the gun already, so it is too late for that test to be of any value. Shooting is now the only valuable test.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts