Shooters Forum banner

Should Idaho State University allow faculty to train and use guns in a shooting?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
13,769 Posts
I'm thinking the unstated administrative concern was that given how their campus security officers had been disinclined to operate within the limits of their authority in the past, affording them the opportunity to do so with AR's might be a source of new problems and liabilities.

Reactions: Easternhunter

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking the unstated administrative concern was that given how their campus security officers had been disinclined to operate within the limits of their authority in the past, affording them the opportunity to do so with AR's might be a source of new problems and liabilities.
Sounds about right. Seems they have walking mall cop caricatures for security. Im all for armed guards on school campuses, but they better be well trained and not Barney Fife with a 30 round AR-15.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Wrong Tool! If their campus security has to put an immediate stop to someone armed and dangerous, I wouldn't want any spray and pray B.S., around my own kids. Let them have a bolt action 308 Win. with soft points. This goes for either AR's or AK's.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
It seems The Campus Security Officers are NOT well trained to begin with;But I feel there Should Be Full and Proper Training of Campus Security to Deal with an Armed Criminal In the Act of Committing Mayhem on 'unarmed' Students. Canceling the purchase is NOT going to improve the Training, but Will Delay efective Response to an Armed Invasion and Assault.

Why not let those, both Professors and Students, who have trained for and passed Testing for a Concealed Carry permit carry on Campus?

Best Regards,
Chev. William

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
My thought is why AR's, vs more portable and concealable handguns, could have them at hand on their person all the time.

And yes, sounds like the campus police/security have acted outside of protocol in some varied scenarios.

Also, campus security is a different term to my mind than campus police. The connotation is less training for security, and possibly more desire to "show those police we don't need them".

Probably a good thing.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Every campus/school security dept.

should have a fully trained & armed supervisor on duty whenever students are present. The times require it and it is completely do-able.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I think the AR is the right tool for the job. Add a red dot or a laser and with limited training, a faculty member could put a stop to a mass shooting in short order from down the hall. By far easier to obtain proficiency and lethal accuracy down a long hallway than with a pistol.
If there are problems with campus security, dont give them access to the guns, just access to an alarm. Put two or three rifles in each building, at opposite ends, one in each location, in vaults that only certified faculty have access to. Have staff qaulify at the beginning of each semester and change out batteries, ammo, etc. at that time as well. I would think there would be less spray and pray than with a pistol.
If the alarm is triggered soon enough, sending certain staff running to a weapons locker, it could potentially prevent the loss of any innocent life. If gun shots are the alarm, the number of lives lost would/could be minimized.
While i dont think cc of a handgun in the classrooms would be wise at elementary and middle school ages, i would think it accetable at a college level. Some rules should be put in place though to stop the occassional chuckle headed professor from shooting himself in the foot. Sidearm must be in a holster that covers the trigger and is fixed to a point on the body(shoulder, ankle, iwb, etc.) Safety on, hammer down, maybe even empty chamber....
When an incident occurs, the individuals inside have live intel that the police do not have, number of shooters, location of shooter, etc.
A staff member can run down a hall to a nearby weapons locker and be armed easily in under 30 seconds. A staffer can casually pull a glock from a shoulder holster and safely rack the slide easily in under 3 seconds. The best swat teams in the world can not even come close to response times like that, let alone be in the building...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
While the educational, law enforcement, and

crime prevention professions depend on each other they are not of the same "mind set" and should not be cross trained for what I think should be obvious reasons. To have a fully trained armed head of security with whatever armed or unarmed assistants he/she requires is all that most facilities will need.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
I think if they're going to issue semi-auto rifles, it ought to be to a trained and competent security force, NOT one that can't even issue traffic tickets one day and the next day are being trained in the use of semi-auto (or any) long guns. Either hire a competent firm who already demands competence in firearms training or forego the purchase altogether until they can get a firm.

As far as carry by teachers, I believe any school teacher or professor, having been trained in advanced firearms concealed carry, should be allowed to carry concealed handguns on school grounds. The reason I say advanced is, States and cities should consider that more advanced training (more than the standard CCW courses) is necessary before allowing them to carry around kids. Once they get that training, to me anyway, any teacher of any grade level of student is fine, because it doesn't matter the age of the student, they're all important to their loved ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts