Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another forum that I moderate the reloading section in, there was a discussion that ran pretty hot. The question was whether Wally Mart sold inferior guns? The firearm in question was the Remington Express 870. Well friends.....it ain't inferior! I tried to explain that Wally Mart buys the guns from Remington at distributer price, less early money discount. This means Wally Mart can put them on the shelf at less than what dealers have to pay for them! The next reason for the price on the Express is the finish. Rather than expensive polishing on the outside and a blued finish....it's parkerized. Rather than expensive walnut , it has an injection molded black stock. All of this adds up to savings. THE PARTS INSIDE ARE THE SAME AS THE MORE EXPENSIVE WINGMASTER!
Another plus is that you can pull stainless choke tubes of the rack at $15.00.......try that on another brand.
I bought one for a swamp gun and am well pleased with it.
So if you are looking for a rugged shotgun....take a look at the Express! Best Regards, James

·
Super Moderator
9,511 Posts
Think you re right...i can't find any parts difference in a Wally-World gun and the same model from a gun shop. That wasn't true back in the days when "off brands" were sold by big retail houses...Revelation, ted Willimans, etc. Will find the occasional roll pin in place of the name-brand's solid pin, a stamped part where the "real" brand has a machined or solid cast part. Little difference that really didn't amount to much, but in the bad old days, these parts were often different 9but the factory originals generally would reto-fit).

Think the modern discount house guns, which carry the "real" maker's name, are pretty much the same as the gun-shop's version of the same model.
----------
However, i'm not opposed to spending a few bucks more at a gun shop...a place that DEPENDS on firearms for their living....rather than save the $ at a big discount house that could care less if they sell guns or not.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What people do not realize is the fact that these fireams are "in-line" symbol numbers. The dealer could order the same firearm through a distributer (if the distributer would stock them). It is the same with Marlin. Both Remington and Marlin sell direct to the mass merchandiser! Most dealers will not stock the firearms that the mass merchandiser stocks.
The question I am addressing here is not whether one should buy from Wally Mart (or who ever), but rather clear up the misunderstanding that these firearms are different from "in-line" products.Last weekend I picked up a display Rem. 870 Express from a local Wally Mart for $224.00 - 2 choke tubes @ $15.00 each, and a sling swival cap & stud for $15.00. The firearm was new, with the box, and all papers. I was on the way back from a gun show where Wingmasters were selling for $400. Due to the weather here in Florida and hunting the rivers and swamps.....we want the finish & black stock on the Express.
Best Regards, James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts