Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ithaca side by each, 20 ga. 3" chambers. It's choked Mod and Imp. I love the shotgun, bought it new back in the '70's. My question is: Can I have those removable chokes installed on the shotgun or would my barrels be too thin? If so, any ballpark idea how much something like that would cost?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Without seeing it I really can't say, but why do you want to? Before you go and make an irreversible alteration, may I suggest that you put up a pattern target and try shots with every different load you find available, from trap loads to heavy 3" and different sizes and amounts of shot to see what throws the best pattern, then stick with that. Pattern is what kills and pattern is a function of the amount of choke and the load being used. Here endeth the epistle. Goatwhiskers the Elder

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
I agree with Goatwhiskers

I have several of these fine Ithaca doubles and they are wonderful just as they are. All the best...
Gil

·
Banned
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. Maybe I'll just leave the little M100 alone and go the ammo route Goatwhiskers suggested. Thinking about it I'm sure you're right. Makes sense.

Years ago I had an Uncle that handloaded all our shotgun shells. He always maintained that you could "load" full choke, open bore, Imp Cyl, etc by different techniques ... be in shot size, shot type, pressure, wads etc.

I thank you for your inputs.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I used spreader loads in my Ithace/SKB SxS, after I found out that the choke(s) couldn't easily be altered due to the chromed bores.

Especially in 20ga, they have become classics in their own right.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Hi Guys, newbie to this whole forum thing. I've got a question on Baker Damascus bareled SXS 12's. Does anyone know if Baker Latavias ever came in coach or Lupara configuration? Maybe a Wells Fargo or Pinkerton contract.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Pax - I realize you're a newbie, but you would probably get wider readership, and a better response, if you started a separate thread with your question, ILO inserting it here.

It's generally regarded as bad manners to "hijack" another's thread to your own purpose/topic.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
It will get more focused replies in a new thread, most likely. Feel free to start another or ask if you have trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts