Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just traded off my 45 Colt Redhawk for a Winchester BigBore in .444 Marlin. I'm well satisfied with the trade, but I'm concerned about the Winchesters lacadasical 1-38 twist. I'm sure I can use bullets of up to 300 grains okay. But I'm concerned about heavier bullets. Does anyone else have one, and is it worth experimenting with really heavy bullets? Thanks to Marshalls tech notes, I have plenty of loading data to work with. My 45-70 still hasn't spoken to me since I brought the Winchester home...

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Well, since it's my fault, I guess I'll have to take the blame!:smile:

That 1:38" twist will work fine on anything up through the 355 grain bullets, however, you'll find that by not going much over the 330 grain mark, that your long range stability will be excellent.  However, you will need to push them to the 2,000 fps mark for best results. (translated:  Heap Big Recoil On Shoulder With 94BB!)

All of my original load development over the years was using the 325 and 330 grain bullets, and that in an original model 444SS with the 1:38" MicroGroove barrels.  They would flat out shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards if I was up to the task!

If you're in too deep of trouble with your other half, have her send the hate mail my way...   my file 13 is only half full!

I'm sure you'll enjoy that levergun!  Let us know how it shoots!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
You guys cut it out!  Pretty soon you're going to have me talked into one of these, and I'll be in trouble with the better half....

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Jump on in!  The water's only at half boil!

Besides, my file 13 still has plenty of room for her hate mail!:biggrin:

Nothin' to make a feller's openin' day o' elk season thun a purty new leevurgun fo' a big ol' fat bullet! :cheesy:

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>Nothin' to make a feller's openin' day o' elk season >thun a purty new leevurgun fo' a big ol' fat bullet!

Ain't that the truth! We ain't got no elk in Nebraska, but we gots some hellacious deer! And let me tell you sumpin', the sense of accomplishment you get when you take a big game animal with your own load, and your own bullet, really makes you feel like something special. Last year was done with a 45-70. This year will be handguns. Maybe late season will be the .444. By the way, I already have a Biiiigggg recoil pad ordered for it.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Gentlemen,

I'm a little confused here;
1. Pourboy says, "My 45-70 still hasn't spoken to me since I brought the Winchester home..."
2. Marshall responds, "If you're in too deep of trouble with your other half, have her send the hate mail my way..."

This brings up questions and/or interpretations that I hesitate to raise, but don't be surprised if the National Inquirer gets interested!

Dan

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan- Don't your guns talk to you too?? I saw a great bumper sticker the other day "I'd like to go to work, but the voices told me "stay home and clean the guns..stay home and clean the guns.."

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
Pourboy,

Actually, it's a two way street -- I talk to them as much as they talk to me. They tend to be the strong, silent type and I'm neither!

If they do well, I praise them, if they slack off, I give them heck. They hold their own, barking at me when I don't get "the lead out" (my wife does that also) -- which at my age is a problem. All in all, it's a good relation ship with them doing most of the work.

Dan

(Edited by DOK at 2:26 pm on Sep. 8, 2001)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan- There was a post on the "humor" board that summed it up really well, comparing guns to women.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts