Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the new Winchester/Miroku 1886 this afternoon.  It's a beauty - decent wood, lot's of preservative oil.  I definately need a reciever sight for it.  I like the action - trigger is slightly heavy but pretty smooth. I need my brass and dies now, to get loading.

Tom

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Give us more detail. I am very unfamiliar. What cal. and length and rifling and such? What is the action. Straight or pistol grip?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a Japanese clone of the Winchester 1886 lever action rifle, built for USRAC by Miroku.  It's a 22" barrel with a half magazine, straight grip, 45-70 caliber.  It's referred to as a Winchester 1886 Extra Light, Grade I (Grade II being a higher quality wood, engraving, etc.).

It seems a bit stiff compared to my almost new Model 94, but the action is quite a bit different in design, featuring two locking lugs engaged in mortise slots cut in the reciever and bolt side walls, whereas the 94 is a single lug engaged at the rear of the action.

Anyway, haven't shot it yet, probably won't for a couple of weeks.

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tom,

I am pleased that you like the rifle.  I too found the action a bit stiff as new, but it smoothed out quickly with a little use.  The trigger is more of a problem to correct, but that too shall smooth out with use.  We'll be interested in the development of loads, sights, etc.  Well done.

dclark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tom,  Glad to here you got your 86. I have been shooting an 1886 Sadle Ring carbine for a couple of years now and enjoy it alot. Both cast and jacketed bullets work very well. My rifle was used but seemed to be in like new condition. It has the smoothest action of all my lever guns. I have not put areciever sight on it yet. The rifle shoots very well as it is so I rather not drill into the reciever. (At least not yet.) Best of luck wih your new rifle.          Eric

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Congratulations on your new rifle.
A bit of advice, take a bit of time and share some of the ogling and petting for the lady in your life. My first wife tried to name my rilfes a co-respondents in our divorce. Seems women get jealous of new rifles.
I've got a take down model of the same rifle. I put a tang site on it to keep the vintage look. I load up and shoot 60 or so rounds of 350 gr cast slugs every week end to smooth up the action and develope my accuracy with it. It does not take long to use up a pound of RL-7 shooting 50 grains behind each cast bullet.
Have fun and enjoy.
Jim

·
Registered
510 Posts
Tom,
        Congrats on your new '86. Just as everyone else has said, it will smooth out over time. I haven't put as many rounds through mine as arkypete has, but I've already noticed a difference in the action. The bad part is that every time I cycle the action of one of my old '86s I want'a throw the new one out the door. Just kidding! Man, nothin's smoother than a well used(not abused)1886 Winchester. Did you read the manual included with the gun? On page 2 bottom paragraph it says "Today's Clasic Traditions Model 1886 comes in several versions and caliber configurations." USRAC couldn't answer my e-mails concerning what other calibers were offered. Since they do mention the 50-110 in the features section, I was curious about it being one "caliber configurations" mentioned. No clear answer from them, either. Oh well, one can only hope. Enjoy your gun!
                  Cheers, mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts