Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, if you read my post about giving my muzzle loader away, youll know ive been looking for a new one. cant buy one just yet, new jersey doesnt like us new yorkers and wont play nice at the gun shop. but at this point in time, ive weighed my options and looked at a wide variety of muzzle loaders. i even contemplated buying the new version of my old one(CVA Wolf), but i decided thatss just not my style. so i happened upon the traditions buckstalker, its along the same lines as the wolf, short barrel, break action, .50cal, pretty much everything i want, with a little bit differnt styling. and the price cant be beat for what you get. and its a nice lookin rifle too, at least to me. any of you guys have any experience with them??

·
Registered
199 Posts
so, if you read my post about giving my muzzle loader away, youll know ive been looking for a new one. cant buy one just yet, new jersey doesnt like us new yorkers and wont play nice at the gun shop. but at this point in time, ive weighed my options and looked at a wide variety of muzzle loaders. i even contemplated buying the new version of my old one(CVA Wolf), but i decided thatss just not my style. so i happened upon the traditions buckstalker, its along the same lines as the wolf, short barrel, break action, .50cal, pretty much everything i want, with a little bit differnt styling. and the price cant be beat for what you get. and its a nice lookin rifle too, at least to me. any of you guys have any experience with them??
Hey there Zachaliles!

Before you really make up your mind. Go to the following Thompson Center Website:

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unless muzzle loaders shot rounds out of a brass cartridge, i dont think the venture is a muzzle loader. and the optimas barrel is too long. need(really, i meant want) a short barrel. got so used to it with the wolf.

·
Registered
199 Posts
unless muzzle loaders shot rounds out of a brass cartridge, i dont think the venture is a muzzle loader. and the optimas barrel is too long. need(really, i meant want) a short barrel. got so used to it with the wolf.
Ok, Zachaililes!

Since you've just got to cut your barrel, there just might be a solution for you!

Traditions "Tracker 209" has a 24" barrel just like the wolf had of CVA. They even have it in stainless steel if you like.

Hey! Don't just take my word for it! Go see for yourself!

www.traditionsfirearms.com/muzzle-loaders-tracker_209.php

PS.

It's only $189.00

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey, at least you picked up on the sarcasm. i was kinda worried i might have pissed you off a little. and ill be honest with you, color and finish mean nothing to me. im the kinda guy who likes to sand all that stuff off and rattle can it. ive done it to all my firearms, except my wife .35 rem marlin and her 20GA ithaca shotgun. she said shed kill me. but mine, thats a different story. i do like the TC's though, the do look nice. not exactly my style, but theyre nice.

·
Registered
199 Posts
hey, at least you picked up on the sarcasm. i was kinda worried i might have pissed you off a little. and ill be honest with you, color and finish mean nothing to me. im the kinda guy who likes to sand all that stuff off and rattle can it. ive done it to all my firearms, except my wife .35 rem marlin and her 20GA ithaca shotgun. she said shed kill me. but mine, thats a different story. i do like the TC's though, the do look nice. not exactly my style, but theyre nice.
Hey there Zachaliles!

What's wrong with getting another CVA~ Wolf?

It won't be like you'll have to readjust or anything like that!:)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its not that i dont like them, i just want something different. emphasis on want. theres absolutley nothing wrong with the wolf, its a fine firearm, especially for what i paid for it. it was exceptionally accurate for a front stuffer, and handled well. but i dont want to be the kind of guy who buys the same thing everytime i get something new. i like to try different things, one of the main reasons i went and bought a .450 bushmaster, it was different and new. and the buckstalker is just different enough from the wolf that i like it. catch my drift?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and by the way frontier, that is a fine lookin boom stick if i do say so myself.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a real muzzleloader with wood stocks and a sidelock, just avoid those plastic abominations all together.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a real muzzleloader with wood stocks and a sidelock, just avoid those plastic abominations all together.
Been there too. ;) I like many kinds of firearms, and many styles. I appreciate each for what it is good at and some I just like. The hawken is really accurate with ball, but I need to play with it some more and get a smaller diameter front sight. At 50 yards it covers too much target for my tastes, let alone 100 yards. I can hit the 10x10 gong at the range I shoot at with the Buckskinner pistol at 75 yards though and have even ticked it at 100 yards. Love the pistola! ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Been there too. ;) I like many kinds of firearms, and many styles. I appreciate each for what it is good at and some I just like. The hawken is really accurate with ball, but I need to play with it some more and get a smaller diameter front sight. At 50 yards it covers too much target for my tastes, let alone 100 yards. I can hit the 10x10 gong at the range I shoot at with the Buckskinner pistol at 75 yards though and have even ticked it at 100 yards. Love the pistola! ;)

Hey there Tacklebury!

Your Hawken and Buckskinner look really nice. Love that Hawken! :)

Who made these?:confused:

Respectfully,
Koanbred

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i understand why people get into muzzle loaders. some get the original ones with the side locks and shoot patched balls and some even go as far as to dress in era specific clothing. others get into it strictly for the challenge of the one shot opportunity. and some even just to extend their seasons. i got into it for the second reason, just for the challenge of it. sure, i can go out with a rifle with 4 or 5 round in the magazine and tag out in one day if i really wanted to(im lucky enough to hunt lots of private land in upstate new york), or i could go out with one or 2 reloads and have a real challenge. i pick and choose what i want to bring. this year im only hunting rifle, but i will space out when i take deer.

so, to sum it up, i would eventually like to get a real pretty flint lock or something similar and take it in the woods, but for now im gonna stick with the plastic "fisher price" muzzle loaders. and i second that, those really are works of art.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Wow... Great Pic.. Please let us know who made those guns. The wood and workmanship is nice..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts