Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an Iver Johnson .22 cal Carbine, but it's missing the rear sight. I've looked through about 30 gun parts sights, but can't find one. can any of you help me out?

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
Frogmckay- Welcome aboard. Glad to have you.
With rare exceptions, American gun companies used off the shelf sights when possible. If you can find a catalog picture of your carbine I might be able to ID it for you.
If it's a dovetail in the top of barrel, the dovetail is a standard size and can be bought. If it attaches by screws, the spacing will be .500" and also a 'standard sight'. You just need to figure out who made it and how tall it is.

Reactions: johnz

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wood Trigger Shotgun Material property Hardwood

Here is a picture of the rear sight of my Iver Johnson Model X single shot bolt action rifle.
Made in 1931, I paid $125 in 2005 at a pawn shop.
My father bought one in a pawn shop for $12 when he was 12 in 1934.
That is 3.22% / year appreciation compounded annually.

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
If you have a caliper, measure the depth of the dovetail. It should be .093 and the dovetail .375 front to back. Williams makes them in several heights, but they're all aluminum and might have to be cut down.
The good news is, there's plenty of those around in dovetail size but the height could be a problem. To measure the height, measure from the bottom of the dovetail to the vee notch and subtract .093.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frogmckay- Welcome aboard. Glad to have you.
With rare exceptions, American gun companies used off the shelf sights when possible. If you can find a catalog picture of your carbine I might be able to ID it for you.
If it's a dovetail in the top of barrel, the dovetail is a standard size and can be bought. If it attaches by screws, the spacing will be .500" and also a 'standard sight'. You just need to figure out who made it and how tall it is.

Thank you for the warm welcome, and the quick response!! It appears to be a standard dovetail, but has a single mounting hole. I was also wondering if you know why the end of the barrel would be externally
Window Wood Door Gadget Tints and shades
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Flooring Varnish
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain
threaded like that.

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
THat's a rough copy of a US M-1 Carbine. The top is grooved for a scope or that rear base. One screw is plenty to hold it on the dovetail.
The barrel is threaded for a suppressor and it's been used with one in place, by appearances.

Pretty sure that's an Erma Carbine. It says it was made in W. Germany so that means pre '94?
It's confusing to have two guns in the same thread!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THat's a rough copy of a US M-1 Carbine. The top is grooved for a scope or that rear base. One screw is plenty to hold it on the dovetail.
The barrel is threaded for a suppressor and it's been used with one in place, by appearances.

Pretty sure that's an Erma Carbine. It says it was made in W. Germany so that means pre '94?
It's confusing to have two guns in the same thread!
I apologize for the pictures. the last picture was one i found on the internet. I included it to show the style of rear sight I was looking for. The pictures of the threaded barrel and the missing rear sight are mine.

·
Premium Member
16,133 Posts
OK, I was having a Geritol moment. Two I&J carbines that are different.
That US Carbine copy rear sight was probably a contract deal for that gun. the US Carbine rear sight looks like that but the dovetail runs cross-ways instead of long ways. (That particular sight is seriously miss-mounted. I wonder if on some weird purpose?)
Confirm that the dovetail is a Weaver Tipp-off dimension which is 'standard' for 22 scope mounts. If so, check the aftermarkets for that sight with that dovetail. Brownell's would be first on that list and anybody that makes sights for 10-22s would be the next couple pages.
I know of sights that fit a Weaver base or Pickatinny rail but your dovetail is different (smaller).

EDIT Numrich #25, page210 is the Erma Carbine. The rear sight assembly is #213670 $26.75 and limited.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did some research, and it turns out this is an Erma EW.22 HBA, imported to America by Iver Johnson. Odd thing is that the threaded barrel was only available in Europe on the EM-1 Ranger.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Not sure where you'd find an original rear sight....they did sell a good number of them, but would be a catch as catch can thing for a used part.

Clamps on the .22 dovetail with a grub screw (might have been a screw...can't remember, haven't seen one in a long time).

Could get a useful rear sight that does the same thing, loos somewhat like the original, so at least you could use the rifle as intended

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.