Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new rifle. It's a J.C. Higgins, or Sears rifle. Except it's got a Belgium Mauser action. Walnut stock, modified safety, sweet trigger, 22 in barrel, push button magazine release. Blueing is excellent, the stock is a little dinged up, drilled and tapped for scope, came with mounts. 250.00, talked him down from 279.00. Anybody know anything about this rifle? When they were made etc. What's it worth?
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
If your's is the old Model 51, 20 years ago they were worth $190 according to an old gun traders guide I have.  My neighbor accross the road has one that has been his deer rifle for 25 years.  Seems I also remember my dad having one back in the early/mid 60's.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Joel: Action is an FN Mauser from Belgium if it's same as mine. Trigger pull is usually pretty good but it was kind of an odd duck in mine using an extended sear and the trigger itself was hinged into the bottom metal with a pin. I traded my trigger out an replaced it with an adjustable from a Brno rifle. Also changed the barrel for a 257 Ack. Imp. and am in the process of putting it's third replacement stock on. The original safety has been replaced with a Mod. 70 type. People keep buying the previous stocks I make for it. I think these rifles were barreled and assembled by High Standard for Sears. Barrels were chrome lined but the original /06 barrel started to flake chrome on mine. Good solid action and as you can tell you can do a lot of tricks with it to suit yourself. Use it as is or change it. besto.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Joel, picked one up in 87 or 88 that said Ted Williams (sears) cal .270, but was an Belgium Fn. guy was gonna throw it away cause bolt was to stiff to work. After some time cleaning the action of who knows what had been put in their (looked like axel grease that had dried), and good cleaning of the barrel and some 4 ought steel wool with hoppes it looked great. Cleaned up the stock and refinished it and grabbed some ammo and off to the range. It had a cheap 3x9
K-Mart (came-apart) scope on it. Shot real well at 100 and 200 yds. One of the guys at the range spotted it and wanted it right now, $400.00 latter I was off to the gun shop to see what I just coundent live without. He made the offer of $400.00 and was  standing their with green folding in his hand, gave him the rest of the ammo (1/2 box) a hand shake to seal the deal and I was gone.

Regards

Gun Runner

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the similiar model 50 J.C. Higgins in 30-06.  The chamber is tight and closes hard on some factory ammo, but what it will digest it will shoot tiny groups with.

This rifle also has the wierd trigger hinged off the guard, I replaced it with the two stage military trigger off a vz-24.  Much better.

It came in an inexpensive (plywood with vinyl exterior and flannel cloth lined interior) fitted luggage case with compartments for a J.C. Higgins 4X "senior" (Weaver K4 steel tube) scope and the bolt.

Quite an interesting rifle and one that shoulders and swings very lively.  Only complaint is the nice detachable rings must be assembled on the scope before the objective bell and turrets are put on.  Only certain Weavers (ancient rebuilt El Pasos) will fit.  Currently have an old K2.5 on her as the Higgins scope stripped a turret screw while being fitted back to the rings.  Oh well off to El Paso again.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine also has a tight chamber. After a little research, I found a little more info about these guns. They were assembled by High Standard. Evidently Sears owned High Standard at one time. They came in .270 and 30-06. Commercial Mauser actions, not sure about the barrels. One of the dealers told me that they used to get snatched up right away by gunsmiths for the actions. Sure beats buying a new Ruger for 450.00 This might become the platform for the custom rifle I've always wanted. Lets see I've already got a Timney trigger and safety, Mark X shroud, hmmn... Thanks for all of the info.
Joel B

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
J.C. Higgins Rifle

I had the Timney trigger installed and the safety too. Mark X shroud as well. This rifle is turning out to be the best 250.00 I ever spent. Best money I ever spent on a rifle period. I installed a Burris 4X on Weaver mounts. I'm getting groups that hover about 1.25 " My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I think I'll put a 3x9 Leupold Vari X II on it. I'm pretty sure I can get it to shoot under an inch no problem. Now, can anybody tell me why I punished myself with a .300 Wthby for so many years? Should have bought a 30-06 years ago.
Thanks for the article on the 30-06 compared to the .300 magnums Marshall. It changed my thinking about what a hunting rifle needs to be. Think I'll still use my .300 with 200gr Swift A-Frames for the Big Bears though.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It was a really enjoyable moment when I bought one of the JC Higgen Belgian Mausers. One gunshop in my area gets patronage only because they're convenient. They'd take advantage of anybody. Well, they were laughing about this 'Sears piece of junk' in the used rifle rack. I generously offerred $175 to take it away. Ed

·
Banned
3 Posts
I have two of the J.C.Higgens Mauser rifles that I have built into custom guns One is now a 257 Roberts, and the other is a 338/06. It is a fine action and if I run across another one I'll try to get it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This gun has shown me why people feel so strongly about the pre '64 Winchester action. I grew up on push feed actions and never used any of the Mauser CRF style actions. I was born in 61, 3 years before Winchester committed the "unforgiveable sin". I know that there isn't anything wrong with push feed actions, but this FN action is just sweet! I can't believe that you could walk into Sears and buy a gun like this! Sold 2 of my other guns, pocketed some change and ordered 1 of the new Charles Daly Field Grades. Zastava is the manufacturer, same as the Interarms Mark X.

http://www.charlesdaly.com/HTML/products/firearms/rifles/field/mauserField.asp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts