Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that word jacketed.
I was popping primers out of 100 25-06 cases, cleaning and uniforming the primer pockets the primer pockets in preparation of uniforming the flash holes. These chores not falling into one of the most stimulating processes that I do during the day, I was pondering on doing the two step process, sizing and neck expanding ,like I do with all of my cast bullets.
It was my thought that a long tapered rod in a die, that would very slowly expand and center the case on the expanding portion of the rod. I could adjust the rod in the die to vary the degree of expansion I would achieve. Plus the case would be wider at the case mouth and narrow in the shoulder area. This give a tighter grip on the bullet.
Any discussion her?
Jim

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
Jim,

A fascinating thought.  Making a long taper is a bit of a chore, though.  Of course it can be done, as barrels are tapered.  And one long taper might serve for several calibers.  Seems like maybe there is a similar product... "Nexpander" or something, possibly from Hanned.  I recall Dean Grennell writing of a similar tool in one of his books.

If I may be so bold.... to direct your attention to the tech note that I wrote about the M-die... I would appreciate you feedback on that.  It sounds like you have some interesting ideas and I would like to hear them.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,141 Posts
Say guys,
     Between you two you've given me an idea. One of the common problems with resizing is neck runout. A way to cure that while resizing for jacketed bullet loads would be to combine Jim's and Mike's idea. What I mean is an expander stem that has a pilot portion and then steps up to the correct expander diameter. Of course, the pilot portion would need to be on the top of the stem to work in regular resizing die fashion. So it would be impossible acheive the multiple inside neck diameters that Mike has with his improved M-die. But I think it still may have a place for the regular jacketed bullet reloader. What do you think?                   ID

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IDShooter

Think you may be on to something there.
Jim

·
36,230 Posts
Yeah, that would work, just turn a pilot on either side of the ball....for both easy entrance and exit!  I may have to see if I can make one.  Thanks ID!

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Ahem,

It's called a Hornady Elliptical Expander stem.

Hee, Hee.

Actually a good modification on this idea would be the "pilot" portion on either side of the taper as you are stating.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the case neck/shoulder was supported, something similar to the upper portion of the resizing die, maybe made of nylon, teflon that could fit over the case neck as the tapered expander was begining to enter the case, there would be little chance of eccentricity.
The plastic support would be self lubricating, for the case sliding in and the plastic support sliding within the die body. As well as the expander rod sliding through the case support as it went up into the die.
Nice thing about the plastic case support is it could be molded and replaced easily and cheaply.
Jim

·
36,230 Posts
Jim,

It seems that you are a pretty smart fellow!  I just made a tapered expander for Ray that goes from .22 to 6.5mm for some wildcat he is using.  It is a very slow taper, only about 1 degree.

And you know what?  It really works!  Even with that much forming, I was gettting 0.004" - 0.007" runout on case necks, testing on some once-fired .22-250 brass.  Some of my full-length sizing dies won't do that well!  For ordinary resizing/expanding, this might be just the ticket.

Here's a picture of it, with a .22-250 case expanded to .264, and a 120gr. Ballistic Tip seated.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hear, Hear.
I hold up my cup of coffee in salute
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts