Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember, I'm new to this stuff! :) Are jacketed and plated bullets the same for reloading purposes. In my reloading manuals is see separate listings, but are they that different that I couldn't use the same powder load for a 9mm JHP and a plated HP?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Jim,
Typically plated bullets use similar loads to cast bullet loads.
Jacketed bullet loads are tuned to the slightly heavier (stronger) jacket material and loads for monolithic bullets have to be tuned to the metal used - copper, bronze, gilding metal or whatever is used to make the bullet.

Some plated bullets can use jacketed bullet loads - it depends on the characteristics of the plating. You can usually find recommendations at the manufacturers web site. If all else fails give the maker a call and ask.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Yes ... they are that different . You have to remember the hardness of a bullet makes a difference in how it is loaded ...the powder and powder charge . Plated bullets are softer than jacketed and they have a velocity threshold you must adhere to . Plated bullets act more like cast lead when fired so you have to load them more like cast and less like jacketed . Just stick with published data for plated bullets and you will stay out of trouble .
Push plated too fast (velocity ) and they become inaccurate .
Gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, both of you, for some great answers. I have some plated RNFP .45 LC bullets and was wondering what to use since it was hard to find data. I think I will load them with the same load that I use for the plain lead one.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks, both of you, for some great answers. I have some plated RNFP .45 LC bullets and was wondering what to use since it was hard to find data. I think I will load them with the same load that I use for the plain lead one.
That's a good plan . When you don't have data specific to a plated bullet ... load them with data for same weight and profile cast bullet .
Accurate Powders has a good deal of data for plated bullets . www.westernpowders,com
will lead you to their load center . For the price of postage ($2.00) you can order their new and expanded Handloading Guide edition 7.0 , it is a 112 page soft cover publication but has a lot of load data in it ... for $2.00 it is more than worth the price . Accurate powders have proven to be extremly useful in handgun loads and I like them ...so far Accurate #2 and Accurate #5 have peoven very useful in handgun loads .
Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts