Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to potentially purchase a Jacob Kuntz rifle. I have talked with the individual who has the gun for sale, but have not seen it yet. It is not their gun, but they are selling it along with some other valuable items for someone else. I will probably get a chance to do so tomorrow or in the next day or two before I head back home from my business trip. I understand that the rifle is in good shape. I don't know if by chance it is somehow an original or a remake. I obviously don't know a ton about guns. The asking price is $4500.00. I have done a fair amount of research on the internet, as well as reviewed all of the Metropolitan Museum pictures I could come across of a Jacob Kuntz rifle. If it is an original, I am guessing that this price is a steal. If it is an exceptional remake is it a steal? Can anyone provide me ballpark prices for both?

I am guessing that this gun is not an original, but are there any telltale signs that would give this away? At this point I do not know if there is any sort of certificate of authenticity or other documentation related to the gun. Any additional information, pictures or links that folks would be willing to pass along would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to get taken, but at the same time I don't want to pass up the opportunity of a lifetime. I hope this makes sense. The sooner folks can get back to me the better since I will probably be examining the rifle tomorrow.

Thanks so much up front!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,098 Posts
Think you'd best find someone that appraises these sorts of things for a living, and have them inspect it in person. For that kind of money..... don't think that opinions of people who haven't seen the gun will be worth much.

I wish you luck in gathering info, and maybe you'll find some here. But I'd sure be engaging someone personally over that kind of money.

My opinion. Good luck.

·
Inactive
480 Posts
I agree with Mike. If it's for an investment make sure it's documented and have your own expert examine it first. You would never be able to shoot it. If it's a remake, you could have a rifle builder custom make one for you at about half that cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I was not able to see the rifle today, but the person who has it sent me the attached images of the rifle as well as the following description:

“Jacob Kuntz flintlock longrifle Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, early 19th century. Walnut stock with extensive rococo relief carving, brass furniture with initials "JK" engraved on the patchbox, very rare bone inlay around patchbox and on the toe plate. Replaced 12" at end of forestock and a 1" chip to stock at tang. Measures 37.5" barrel, 53.75"

The pictures are not that great, but I may get a chance to take some better ones tomorrow. Hopefully the images and decription make it at little easier to provide some more detailed feedback regarding the rifle.

Thanks

·
Inactive account
440 Posts
Beautiful Rifle. I would post pics at:

www.americanlongrifles.org

in the Antique Longrifles section. There is a rather freakish amount of knowledge on that board regarding every variety of the American Longrifle. You've got collectors there and builders, who know every nuance of the rifles of this period, as well as those before and after. Definitely run it by them, and good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with the previous. The rifle looks old to me and does look like it could be of that school, but I ain't no expert.

If it's authentic, I would think you're onto a pretty good investment.

Good luck with it -

Spot

·
Inactive account
440 Posts
The more I look at it, and this is a very uninformed opinion here, I wonder at it being from PA. I've never seen a flint rifle from PA with that spur off the guard, but might be wrong. I'm not familiar enough with the different schools, but I've for sure never seen that on PA rifles. Reminds me of something from farther West like OH or Indiana....just not sure but something don't seem right. Yes.....www.americanlongrifles.org is where I would start.

·
Inactive account
440 Posts
Yep, unless Jacob Kuntz built guns in two different styles, that is definitely not a rifle by him. He apparently was apart of the Allentown school of rifles, with a Roman nose buttstock profile. Definitely does not seem like one of his at all. A copy of a Kuntz rifle is here, which from your first post, I believe you've already seen:
http://www.waynepwatson.com/sales.html

Edit: based on info from your post on ALR, rifles from Philly did have the spur, and this could have been a late period rifle out of his shop. I guess architecture changed dramatically for some builders over time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.