Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to potentially purchase a Jacob Kuntz rifle. I have talked with the individual who has the gun for sale, but have not seen it yet. It is not their gun, but they are selling it along with some other valuable items for someone else. I will probably get a chance to do so tomorrow or in the next day or two before I head back home from my business trip. I understand that the rifle is in good shape. I don't know if by chance it is somehow an original or a remake. I obviously don't know a ton about guns. The asking price is $4500.00. I have done a fair amount of research on the internet, as well as reviewed all of the Metropolitan Museum pictures I could come across of a Jacob Kuntz rifle. If it is an original, I am guessing that this price is a steal. If it is an exceptional remake is it a steal? Can anyone provide me ballpark prices for both?

I am guessing that this gun is not an original, but are there any telltale signs that would give this away? At this point I do not know if there is any sort of certificate of authenticity or other documentation related to the gun. Any additional information, pictures or links that folks would be willing to pass along would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to get taken, but at the same time I don't want to pass up the opportunity of a lifetime. I hope this makes sense. The sooner folks can get back to me the better since I will probably be examining the rifle tomorrow.

Thanks so much up front!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I was not able to see the rifle today, but the person who has it sent me the attached images of the rifle as well as the following description:

“Jacob Kuntz flintlock longrifle Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, early 19th century. Walnut stock with extensive rococo relief carving, brass furniture with initials "JK" engraved on the patchbox, very rare bone inlay around patchbox and on the toe plate. Replaced 12" at end of forestock and a 1" chip to stock at tang. Measures 37.5" barrel, 53.75"

The pictures are not that great, but I may get a chance to take some better ones tomorrow. Hopefully the images and decription make it at little easier to provide some more detailed feedback regarding the rifle.

Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.