Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Inactive account
440 Posts
Beautiful Rifle. I would post pics at:

www.americanlongrifles.org

in the Antique Longrifles section. There is a rather freakish amount of knowledge on that board regarding every variety of the American Longrifle. You've got collectors there and builders, who know every nuance of the rifles of this period, as well as those before and after. Definitely run it by them, and good luck!

·
Inactive account
440 Posts
The more I look at it, and this is a very uninformed opinion here, I wonder at it being from PA. I've never seen a flint rifle from PA with that spur off the guard, but might be wrong. I'm not familiar enough with the different schools, but I've for sure never seen that on PA rifles. Reminds me of something from farther West like OH or Indiana....just not sure but something don't seem right. Yes.....www.americanlongrifles.org is where I would start.

·
Inactive account
440 Posts
Yep, unless Jacob Kuntz built guns in two different styles, that is definitely not a rifle by him. He apparently was apart of the Allentown school of rifles, with a Roman nose buttstock profile. Definitely does not seem like one of his at all. A copy of a Kuntz rifle is here, which from your first post, I believe you've already seen:
http://www.waynepwatson.com/sales.html

Edit: based on info from your post on ALR, rifles from Philly did have the spur, and this could have been a late period rifle out of his shop. I guess architecture changed dramatically for some builders over time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.