Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new jag tip for my .22 lr rifle and it doesn't fit the bore!? Not sure what's going on here, but is there a way of selecting the proper sized jag for modern .22 lr rifles?

·
Premium Member
14,659 Posts
It sounds like it was not in the right package. Nobody has changed the barrels.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,987 Posts
Get a size smaller jag and see if that doesn't work.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Does the jag itself not fit in the bore or when you put on a patch? If have found with my jag I can use heavier patches on 22 centerfire rounds but have to use a very thin patch on 22 lr.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The jag doesn't even want to start into the chamber end of this bolt action .22 lr. Consequently, I think I just got a mislabeled jag to start with. I did not want to force it, so I switched to a slotted tip. But I prefer using a jag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This might be interesting. I took the rifle to a local gunsmith today and he just dropped the jag down the barrel with no problem! So, after the range session tomorrow, I will once again attempt to use this same jag and see if the patch is the problem. Using a carbon rod which does flex quite a bit. That may be part of the problem? That and/or the patch thickness? But I thought commercially purchased patches were pretty standard for a .22 lr. Will follow up on this tomorrow. Thanks for your inputs.

·
Registered
432 Posts
"But I thought commercially purchased patches were pretty standard for a .22 lr. Will follow up on this tomorrow. "

I have both 22 centerfire and 22 patches. CF patches that I have are slightly larger and thicker than my other 22 patches.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,310 Posts
Cut the patch down till it works.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Mike G +1.

Patches vary quite a lot. I've got 3 different size 22 patches and must cut some. just cleaning a 222 R and a 22 rf at the moment (return from 2 week hunting trip). Start thin to avoid getting one stuck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cut the patch as above suggested or go one size down to .17. Your fitting onto the rod may not be good, though.

I have a centerfire .223 and one bunch of patches fit and another 1000 do not and have to be cut to about 1/3 the size of the 1 1/8" patches I use uncut.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, the problem turned out to be patch "thickness", not size per say. Apparently patches these days vary considerably between manufacturers. Ended up using a smoother, thinner textured .38 cal. patch, which we cut down to .22 size. It's amazing to me that you have to specify which .22 you want the patches for. "LR" is paramount in the description. And I'm sure the thicknesses vary as well.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I haven't used a cleaning rod, jag or bronze brush for .22 rimfire bores in many moons. Many of the new formulated synthetic gun cleaning solutions these days are excellent when used to clean .22 rimfire bores. I'll pull a couple of soaked felt plugs through the bore, let the solution do its job for around 10 minutes and then pull a dry plug, or two, through the bore. Does a fantastic job without scrubbing on the shallow rifling involved with .22 rimfire:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SGW Gunsmith - Thanks for that suggestion. First off, I'm a firm believer in Eesox. Have been using it on my firearms for years. Also soaked the bore with this, then run through the brush a time or two, followed by a pad covered jag one way. Never even heard of those "plugs" you are referring to. Where do you get them? Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have found a source for these pellets (Amazon) which come with a jag for their use. However, this set up is intended for air rifles. Would that be OK to use on a rimfire rifle barrel too?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I have found a source for these pellets (Amazon) which come with a jag for their use. However, this set up is intended for air rifles. Would that be OK to use on a rimfire rifle barrel too?
I get these from Brownells. They have the plain felt and then the green, more aggressive version, with brass wire impregnated into the plug. Rarely use those though.
They stock these plugs in various caliber sizes and I know for sure the rimfire version works well for my .22 rimfires. Not sure about those pellet gun type.
My pull through line is 0.093 diameter "weed-whacker" line, and I think it's better use is for bore cleaning rather than toting a weed whacker all over.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm jumping into this thread late but here's a PSA: If you are cleaning a CZ45x, the bore is pretty tight. So much so that you'll need a .17 caliber cleaning rod and jag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts