Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have just bought a second hand .35 rem 336 which jams with the lever full open. I have pulled it to bits and studied it. It looks like the carrier is too long so when a round is on the carrier the next one sticks out of the mag by about 0.070" and locks the carrier down. I wonder if this shooter was loaded with hand loaded ammo and the leverloution stuff wont feed through it. Does anyone know how long the carrier should befrom the mouth to the rear edge where the case butt sits? Maybe the wrong carrier, Ayone got a better clue?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Kiwimarlin

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The first thing I always recommend when I hear of a 336 jamming in this fashion is to check the tightness of the loading-gate screw. If it is the least bit loose, you can get a jam identical to what you describe.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Pisgah, will you please take a moment and look at this link to a 336 exploded view for me? Is their part #27, the Loading Spring Screw, the same as your loading-gate screw?

http://www.gunuts.com/images/40.jpg

Thanks,

Spence
That's the one. As you can see, the loading gate and its leaf spring are made as a unit, and that small screw is the only thing holding them in place. The screw gets loose, and that allows the spring to move out away from the receiver wall and tie things up. When it comes to the 336 in my experience, that is the #1 cause of jams.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That's the one.
Thanks, that's good information to have tucked away.

I'm new to leverguns, but have already found out that the mechanism is surprisingly simple. That loading gate is a good example. I had it figured to be much more complicated, with several parts and springs. One spring-steel gate, one screw, and Bob's you uncle.

I appreciate the help.

Spence

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The 336 seems particularly simple to me, one reason it is my favorite levergun -- quite an honor, because I love 'em all!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The 336 seems particularly simple to me, one reason it is my favorite levergun -- quite an honor, because I love 'em all!
I could easily learn to feel that way. The only other levergun I own, or ever have owned, is a Marlin 39M .22 LR. It has a single takedown screw on the receiver, remove that and the gun is essentially disassembled, in two pieces.

Spence

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Spence, I've found that Pisgah's advice on keeping the loading gate screw tight is sound. I have removed, cleaned, and blue-locktited them on both my levers.

However, if that doesn;t fix it, there are other reasons for the jam. Here is a good place to read about them and their fixes:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php?board=121.0

·
Registered
19 Posts
another thing is check and see if the carrier screw hole is worn so the carrier rock to and fro, if that so you should replace the carrier or have to a bushing made for the hole. i've seen this a few times ,but it's not rare to see it. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
had the same experience .. it was the screw pisgah mentioned..
i couldn t figure how such a simple design could mess up..
gunsmith put loctite on the screw.. problem solved..i assume..
imo figure out how to get this gun in the lineup,,
its just my kinda gun.. simple an dependable..slim
ps. key to any gun is knowing it an its capabilities an limitations,in your hands....jmo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your suggestions.
The gate loading screw is tight but it still jams.
I can see the next round sticking just over the edge of the carrier mouth. If i push the round up the magin just a tiny bit the lever will cycle up & closed.
Ill have a look at stretchnm link and see if there is a clue there.

·
Banned
507 Posts
I have never had that problem on my 336s, but this is good to know.

Jerry

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
At that link I provided earlier, one of the fixes, or rather problems, is that the snail-shaped part on the lever has a sharp edge from the factory and, through use, causes a perpendicular groove to be worn in the bottom of the carrier. The snail-shaped section of the lever is what lifts the carrier when the lever is opened. This tiny groove, the way (I think I understand it), is responsible for some of the jams and maybe yours. You can see it with the rifle intact by just turning the rifle over and looking at the bottom of the carrier. Maybe check yours for that. Look closely in good light all along the bottom of the carrier.

A study of some of the "fixes" at that link should tunr up the thread I'm talking about. It's worth a check, maybe.

I know that my 1894 in 44mag will jam even when the loading gate screw is tight. It won;t often jam with my Remington-brassed reloads, but it will with some factory ammo, and especially with the thin-skinned aluminum-cased Blazer ammunition. I've read that the minute size difference in the case rims can cause this. Also, my 1894 does have that thin, perpendicular groove in the bottom of the carrier, so that isn;t helping, I'm sure. The easiest fix is a new carrier, and then to file or stone the "sharp" edge off of the affected lever part so it doesn;t wear a groove in the new part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
anytime you buy a used gun you take a chance on gettin' lemon, but all is not lost. gotten a few myself through the years, and if i could'nt fix'em they went down the road! ever time i get another 336 first thing i do is locktite the load gate screw, actually i use fingernail polish. anyway if the load gate screw is lose the lever will not open, cause at that point the carier is the lowest it will be. and the load gate is blocking the carier from rising. and that snail shape on the lever does'nt raise the carier, that is controled by the rocker on the carier and the upper portion of the lever. but a 1894 marlin and a 336 are two diff. animals. they look similar. :cool:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

You are correct, Stretch, but the jam that you describe is a 1894 malfunction and not found in the 336. I suspect that the OP has a worn lever and needs replacement or repair of that part.

Examine closely the cartridges. It sounds as if you have some high primers. If the primer protrudes even a few thousands above the case head (not properly seated) it will cause a jam such as you describe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey spence, that was a very handy link on the action working.
I stripped the whole thing again and couldnt find a single thing wrong, except the mag didnt feed a smooth as i would like. I cleaned the mag out with a bronze bore brush and oiled it and bingo the action cycles smoothly with no jamming.
Thanks for your help, great forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,
i posted a reply a couple of weeks ago but must have got something wrong because its not on the forum.
Anyway ill say it again. Problem is solved. The link spence provided was excellent and a big help to a first time levergun owner.
I took the mag apart and ran a bronze brush through it then oiled it. Put it back together and bingo problem solved. It was just plain dirty in the mag tube causing a wierd feed issue.
Thanks for all your help.
Kiwimarlin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Loading door

Ive inherited a Marlin 336 35cal. It needs a loading door and screw. Does anyone know where I might get these items. It has neither. Any info would be helpful. Thanks Matt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts