Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at buying a Weatherby mark v delux I found out today its a Japanese gun is it as good as the American weatherby or should I stay away from it

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,978 Posts
Weatherby's have been built just about all over the world. Those made in Japan are just as good as the others.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I agree with Kdub. the German are most sought, then the USa, then the Jap. the earliest were built on Enfield astions and certainly wre not as 'sleek' as todays MarkV. weatherby only retained the Enfiled p14 safety.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I've had two bolt guns made by Howa (Weatherby's Japanese Factory). One was a beautiful Smith and Wesson 1500 in .30-06. It was perhaps the most accurate rifle I ever owned with a variety of loads. I traded it for a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. The second is a Howa 1500 in .308 which has become my go-to tree stand rifle due to its handy 20" barrel and youth Hogue stock. It's just real handy in a tree. It too is very accurate. The Weatherby's made there are suppose to be as good or better, so I wouldn't hesitate at all. Japanese steel quality is second to none.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,409 Posts
I've got a Weatherby Vanguard which is a Howa rifle made in Japan for Weatherby. It works great and I'd recommend it to anybody.

Welcome to the forum.....

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The Japanese made guns were thought to be better than the German made MKV's, at least in house. I'm not sure how the American made rifles stack up, but I wouldn't hesitate to own the Japanese made gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like what im reading its in excellent condition what do yall think is a fair price it has a beautiful wood stock no scope but it does have rings on it its a 300 wthby mag

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,978 Posts
What's the seller's asking price?

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
A little off track on some of this.
This is a Mark V not a Vanguard. they are totally different design and manufacture.
The Mark V is a finely finished rifle of top quality, it is not made by Howa. The fit and finish, especially the bluing is great. It was made by Miroku. The quality of Miroku is seen as they make the Winchester and Browning reproduction of Classic rifles and shotguns, like the winchester m71, etc.

$850 is in the right area, sort of depends upon the condition. Most Mark V are in very good shape, because they were premium rifles to start and were taken good care of. Bought one (US made) used in 7mm Weatherby for $950 with a scope and thought I got a bargain last spring. I suspect the prices on bolt guns will go up just like the Automatics.

·
Registered
668 Posts
$850.00 is a good price for that rifle if it's in good condition.

I just sold a Mark V Synthetic in .300 Weatherby for $650.00.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have owned both Sauer and Miroku Weatherbys in 224,257, 270, 7mm and 300 and found no difference in the way they shot.The Sauers were a little better cosmically but all shot good.These were all Mark V.I sure wish I had some of them back.I have found the people that bad mouth the Mark V are the ones that never owned one.

·
Registered
779 Posts
FWIW, and though not Weatherbys, I have owned or still own rifles make by Miroku and Howa, and the rifles from both manufacturers were well-made with excellent attention to detail.

I have developed a lot of respect for the Japanese gun manufacturers.

·
Banned
674 Posts
MkV 300 that is Howa made and this is a 3 shot rapid fire group at 100 yards shot as fast as I could work the bolt. I would have preferred it be American made but I can't fault the quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got 2, one in a 243 and one in a 270 mag.My 243 will shoot 3 shot groups 1/2 inch and under at 100yds .My 270 mag shoots just like the target showed in previous post.I will try to guess how that target was shot according to mine.First shot center second shot to the right third shot hit the first. I could'nt believe when I seen that target.I've had it 20 year or so and it's alway's done that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts