Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Mexico's Javelina season opens today (draw only). Is anyone going? How about in Arizona or Texas, are you guys hunting pigs? What kind of guns do you use and how do you hunt javelina in your neck of the woods/desert?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
JP, in Texas both hogs and javelina are a year-round proposition, no closed season that I am aware of. Certainly not for hogs, anyway. Limit of 2 javelinas / year, no limit on hogs.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
JP,

I grow up on the outskirts of San Antonio and have also wanted to go Javelina hunting. My biggest problem is that I joined the Army right after High School and have only hunted back there very few times since. However, I have a special Marlin 1894S in 41 mag with a reciever sight just waiting for the chance!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,999 Posts
Didn't get drawn in Arizona for the first time in years. Population is growing too fast and the premits are getting too few, I guess.

I've used everything from .22 WMR to .44 Mag carbine on the little stinkers. Even used a .50 cal charcoal burner, one time. Since retiring and not being around my Hispanic coworkers to give them to, think I'll ease off hunting them, as I definately don't like messing with the cleaning chores on 'um.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum specifically for javelina several years ago in Texas. I've used a Mini-14 in Texas and here in New Mexico and I've used a Model 70 Carbine in .223 and a S&W Model 629. But it's hard for residents to draw, at least this resident, in New Mexico even though the population has exploded.

We usually scout an area and either glass and stalk, or set up on an area where we've seen sign. Some folks use a varmint call and a buddy who managed to draw is out right now trying his call to see how it works. I'll let you know what I find out.

If you've never "busted" the scent gland when you were skinning a javelina, you haven't experienced "nasty". On the ones we did right (all of them after the one busted gland), we pit roast 'em and they turn out as sweet and tasty as the finest pork. Really worth the extra effort and they make a really nice trophy mount if you get a good one. I had an old sow javelina mounted that I shot back in '89-90, that was pretty good sized, had really big tusks and a lot of gray in her coat, which was unusual. I get more comments on that mount than any other.

Going to Texas to hunt hogs this year if we draw, or if not, will try to take javelina on the deer lease outside Ozona, Texas.

·
23,999 Posts
Hunted Ozona area many years ago (mid-80's) and saw lots of deer and turkey.

Most of the javelina's I've seen in that part of the world were down around Carrizo Springs. Herds of the little rooters around there.

You told me one time what part of NM you're in, but I forgot! Was it Silver City area?

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kdub:
I live in Las Cruces, but my work (and my hunting) takes me all over the Southern half of New Mexico from AZ to Texas and from Ft. Sumner to the Mexican border. My favorite area, the one I spend the most recreational time in, is the Southwest corner of the state. I like the mountains around Silver City up to Reserve and Apache Creek (the Gila country), but at heart I'm just an old desert rat and prefer the bootheel country (South of I-10, West of I-25).

I spotted a bunch of javelina last year just East of Ft. Stockton, but haven't had the chance to hunt them over in Texas for a while now. We've put in for some hog hunts on the state parks and preserves in Texas the last couple of years, but haven't drawn, yet. Like I posted earlier, if the opportunity presents itself, I'll take one on the deer hunt.

·
23,999 Posts
Lived in Weed and Sacramento areas of the Lincoln Nat'l Forest back in time - right after WWII! As a kid with a single shot .22, I pretty well had everything in the surrounding country terrorized if it moved! Still have fond memories of the days growing up there.

The desert certainly has it's charm and this time of year is a real pleasure to live in. I'm really in my element when I have tall pine trees, rocks and inclines, tho. At my advancing age, the mountain type of hunting must be done horseback or with 4WD with lots of sit 'n glass time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
SILVER CTY.

I HAVE TO GO TO SILVER CTY ON THE 27 AN TO DUCAN ON THE 30 TO SEE MY MOTHER INLAW MY WIFE WANTS TO GO 40 TO180 AN OVER BUT I THINK ITS FASTER TO GO TO PHX. AN OVER CAN YOU HELP . THEN WHEN I GET THERE WERE CAN I GO HANG OUT BY MY SELF HELP PLEASE.!! P.S. 7TCU ON PIGS IN A CONTDER FUN FUN FUN

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chris;

Personally, I really hate driving the Interstates. Highway 180 would be my choice, mainly because it is really a pretty drive, if the weather is good, which right now, it isn't. Timewise, I'm not sure which is best, but I try to make my trips as pleasant as possible and "cruise" instead of rush.

The Gila forest is around Silver City and lots of nice places there (Lake Roberts, Pinos Altos, and other nice areas). There is also City of Rocks, towards Deming and if you are into ghost towns, you can go to Shakespear, just outside of Lordsburg. There is a really good gunshop in Deming with a range if you want to shop or shoot. Hope this helps.

Have a good trip and drive safely.

J.P.

·
Registered
37 Posts
JP

THANKS JP HAD TO GET PEN AND WRIGHT IT DOWN SO CAN TAKE WITH ME AS FAR AS 180 THATS WHAT MY WIFE SAID SO SHES RIGHT ONCE MORE SOME DAY IL JUST DO THINGS HER WAY AN NOT ASK QUSGENS. LOVE GUN SHOPS SO IT WILL BE FRIST STOP ORE SHAKRSPEAR THANKS GOD BLESS

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use a 221 Fireball in a xp-100, I haven't been in two years because of a new child last year and not draw this year, my firrrrrrst time! Where do I go..... that I'll never tell. wCOLOR=deeppink]NOT[/COLOR]

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,336 Posts
That's an interesting choice, what bullets/ammunition do you use, and what sort of results do you get?

Come hunt them in TX, we have PLENTY, no need to get drawn, bring lots of ammo....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts